Calling the Dragon's Bane

Columbo staggered away from the shining amber eyes glaring at him through the thick foliage, tripping over a fallen pine and landing flat on his back. The young hunter shuffled backwards and went to grab his sword when a low growl stopped him.

    The area was supposed to be clear. He and his team had already captured the dragon that lived in the mountains. The solitary creatures were highly territorial, which meant there shouldn't be any others for several miles.

   Yet here he was, staring into the hypnotic golden eyes of a second dragon.  And this time, he didn't have any of the hunters on his team to save him. He would be eaten alive, no one would ever know.

    "Calm your fears, human," the great beast said, his deep voice echoing through the trees. Columbo brushed strands of ebony hair out of wide brown eyes as he watched a large silver-scaled head emerge from the forest's shadows, and he fought every instinct to not immediately unsheathe his blade.

    "You can talk," he stated, his voice betraying his shock. Normally, when he went hunting, the dragon wouldn't stop for pleasantries.

   The dragon snorted and  curved his mouth in a way that almost resembled a smirk.

    "Of course, I can."

  The hunter tilted his head ever so slightly.

     "Why are you talking to me?"

   "Very few creatures can gaze into the eyes of a dragon and not fall under its spell. Humans are not one of those creatures," he continued, "So then why can you?"

   Columbo's eyes narrowed. "None of your business, drake."

    The beast chuckled, "There is no need for such hostility. I did not come to harm you, nor did I come to avenge the blood you have spilled in the name of the mortals you hide among."

    "Then why are you here?!"

  "To deliver a message. You are known throughout the kingdom as the Dragon's Bane. But after this day, you will be remembered as someone very different."

   Columbo slowly climbed to his feet, his gaze never leaving that of the legendary predator's. His fingers curled around the hilt of his sword as he waited for the rest of the message. The dragon slinked out of the darkness so that most of his massive, silvery body could be seen in the fading sunlight.

     "I am Argenti," the dragon declared, his eyes shining with hidden power, "You were once the Bane of our people, but now you shall be our defender. We know who you truly are, and I call you by your name. Ferrum."

    Columbo bent over, clutching his head as pain sliced through it like a knight's sword-stroke.

    Remember, Argenti's voice reverberated in his mind.

   When the hunter finally looked up, his eyes were shining gold. He remembered everything.

   How Clank trapped him as he had so many other dragons and turned him human.

   Ferrum would free his people and slay the mortal that dared to turn him against them.