Ella

Ella wiped her hands over the folds of her powder blue dress, subtly checking for the dagger hidden in a specially sown pocket. Her eyes roamed over the mass of partygoers, all decked in elegant gowns or sharp suits and masquerade masks, until she caught the gaze of Valin's most eligible bachelor and eldest prince. Rafe Garner. Ella forced herself to clasp her hands in front of her instead of reaching for her blade as she lightly crossed the ballroom to the refreshment table.

She would have to be quick. Anastasia and Monique were here too, which meant she only had one chance at achieving her goal before either of them beat her to it.

Rafe, enamored by the first girl not to run up to him with propositions of marriage, maneuvered through the crowd so that he was standing beside her.

"Care to dance?" he asked, his hand extended. Ella looked up in momentary surprise, before her lips curled upward in a gentle smile. She took the offered hand, and her free hand brushed against the hidden hilt. Now, she was one step closer to her goal.

For Rafe didn't know that he was waltzing with the Nightingale, a remorseless assassin from Valin's dark underbelly. And she was here for one purpose. To kill Prince Charming.