A Different Set of Wings Pt. 1

A/N: So originally this was going to be my entry for W2R black belt/ sudden death round, but test week came and hit me out of nowhere, and I just finished midterms—hence the lack of updates. But here is what I was able to get done before school sucker-punched me. Let me know what you think!
........

When every girl turns sixteen, she gets a fairy godmother. This is fact. Fairy godmothers can do anything, from whipping up the perfect prom dress to simply being a confidant. Depending on the dynamics of the duo, it could be the best or worst year of a teen girl's life.

    But similar to genies, there are certain things that these all-powerful mages cannot do, even with their unlimited wishes and seeming infinite power.

No wishing for true love. Soulmate hunting is no one's job but your own.

No wishes can break written laws. Fae are obsessed with contracts, and human laws are no exception.

No wishing to raise the dead. Necromancy has unforeseen consequences and should only be performed by trained professionals.

   Melian memorized these three rules and ran them over in her head as she made her way to the Partnering. Today she turned sixteen, and it was time to meet her own fairy godmother for the first time. She fought down the urge to literally skip down the crowded streets of Avalin City, though by the occasional odd glance from human an fae alike, she guessed that her excitement wasn't that easy to hide.

   She didn't care though.  She would get only one chance at a first impression, and Melian couldn't wait. Maybe her fairy godmother would look like the classic old lady in a robe, or maybe she went modern and took on the appearance of a middle-aged Italian aunt like her neighbor Bianca's did.

   Her pale fingers swiped loose strands of blond hair out of her eyes as she spun around to find the Office of Fae Affairs hidden in the midst of skyscrapers and towering trees. The ink of the hastily scribbled address had started to bleed through the paper and on to her palm from holding on to it too tightly. Was it Fight Street or Flight Street?

   "Mel, over here!" a familiar voice called out, and Melian spun around, catching sight of her cousin Claire.

The enthusiastic brunette waved from the top step of the OFA, an unfamiliar woman beside her.

"I know you wanted to wait and do it together, but my mom accidentally scheduled me for earlier," Claire pouted and wrapped her arms around Mel in a hug.

The two cousins shared a birthday, and Mel thought that they'd planned it for them to go together. But as usual, her aunt made a scheduling error. Mel didn't know what that really meant, but she hid the flash of hurt for Claire's sake and forced the biggest, most genuine smile she could muster.

"Congrats!" she replied.

Claire untangled herself from the hug and instead wrapped her arms around the stranger's elbow.

"Meet the coolest FG ever! Isadora, this is my cousin Mel."

"Pleasure," the older woman purred. Literally.

Tall, slender, and beautiful like the Elven models for every fashion magazine in the city in her all black pant-suit but with slitted, golden eyes and black cat ears poking through her ebony hair, Isadora seemed calm and collected. She would definitely balance out Claire's bubbly, and slightly absentminded, personality.

"Nice to meet you. Hope she doesn't give you too much trouble, Ms. Isadora," Mel added.

The godmother grinned at Claire's indignant shriek. "Please, call me Aunt Isa. Both of you. And I'm sure we'll get along just fine."