chapter 23: weisz is practicing

~weisz~

       I don't know why I always end up worrying about my exams when in the end, I do decent enough. I don't always do amazingly, but I still do well enough to keep my overall grade about the same. The same thing happened for my final exams this semester; I wasn't close to failing in the end. I stuck with the same grade, plus or minus a few actual percentage points.

       But once I asked my parents if I can surf competitively this weekend and they confirmed I can no matter what my grades are, I stopped worrying about what my grade was. 

       And now that grades are out and it's summer, I no longer have to worry about school. The only thing I do have to worry about are tryouts, but I'm not worrying as much as I did for examples. After all, surfing is something I love. It's so fun to me, so even practicing is something fun I'm doing.

       I'm just glad Kyle isn't at the beach today while I'm practicing. There's no doubt that he'll be at tryouts too, but thankfully, tryouts aren't done at the beach. It's done at a built wave simulator so everyone trying out has a fair shot at getting a wave. People go one by one, so I also won't have to worry about Kyle dropping in on me.

       The only thing I hope for is that we don't end up on the same team, otherwise I'd have to deal with him all summer.

       I practice for a while before deciding to take a break. I get out of the ocean and head back to where my friends are. I set my surfboard in the sand before sitting on my towel, which I had placed next to where Reno is sitting.

       "You looked very cool out there," Reno says. "And hot. Very hot."

       "Why, thank you," I say. "I'm going to get back out there soon. I'm just taking a break, and there aren't really any waves right now." I lie down completely on the towel, using my arms to shield my eyes from the burning sun. "I'm very happy it's summer break right now. I was getting sick of school."

       "Me too," Reno says.

       "I'm just happy I passed all my classes," Adam says. "My parents threatened to take my car away if I failed any of my classes, which makes no sense because I would need my car to drive to summer school."

       "The school is literally walking distance from your house," Amelia points out. "It's a ten minute walk. You just choose to drive just in case you want to go out somewhere for lunch."

       "Exactly," Adam says. "What if I want to go out somewhere for lunch during summer school? I won't be able to, which would bring my mood down. And if my mood is down, I won't be able to concentrate in any of my classes, which means I'll end up failing summer school, so I'll have to retake the class the following year. And that means I won't graduate the same time as all of you."

       "Yeah, you're being dramatic," Jane says. "You don't even have to think about that since you, you know, passed all your classes."

       "This is all just hypothetical," Adam says.

       "Right, so make sure you don't fail any classes in senior year," Jane says. "Otherwise you won't be able to graduate with us."

       "Yes, Mom."

       I relax for a few minutes before deciding to get back to surfing, especially since the waves have picked up. Unfortunately, right as I was about to surf, I notice Kyle making his way into the water with his surfboard. I sigh heavily. "Great."

       "What's up?" Reno asks.

       "Kyle is here."

       "Kyle? Who's that?"

       "He's the asshole that kept dropping in on Weisz the first time he went back to surfing," Marcel says.

       "Oh, him," Reno says. "I guess I forgot his name since I don't care about him at all."

       I chuckle. "That's one way to live." Not wanting Kyle to stop me from surfing every single time we're at the beach together, I stand up and grab my surfboard. "I'm going to try anyway. Hopefully, he smartens up."

       "One way to combat him dropping in on you is to just let him take the waves and get the wave after him," Jane says. "Before he gets back to you. It might be annoying since you can't get the good waves, but it will be better than having him drop on you every time."

       "And if he doesn't get any waves until you do, pretend you're going for a wave but then pull away," Amelia says. "Or push him off the surfboard."

       "Yeah, I think I'll go with Jane's idea and your first one," I say.

       I keep my distance from Kyle when I get back in the water and sit on my surfboard to wait for a wave. I was hoping it would take a while for Kyle to notice me, but it doesn't. He notices me almost immediately and paddles his surfboard to me, sitting beside me. "It's surprising to see you again," Kyle says. 

       "I don't see how since I love surfing," I say.

       "Sure, but remember, you didn't surf at all last year," Kyle says.

       "I have my reasons."

       "Not to mention the last time I saw you, you couldn't even catch a single wave."

       I bite my tongue to prevent myself from reminding Kyle that it's because he was dropping in on me. I know the moment I remind him, I'll just get annoyed, and that's what he wants.

       "So, I was wondering," Kyle says. "Since you're no longer dating that hot girlfriend of yours, or ex-girlfriend, think you could give me her number? She will probably love being with a better surfer than you."

       Don't get mad. He's trying to get a reaction. Don't give him one.

       "Sorry, but she has a boyfriend," I say.

       "Ah, I see she upgraded from you then," Kyle says.

       "Sure." I see a wave approaching and I know for a fact that even though I have the right to it right now because of our position, Kyle will drop in on me since it's not an official practice or comp. So I take Amelia's advice and make it look like I'm going for it.

       I'm right. I can see Kyle going for it as well from the corner of my eye, so I pull away just in time for Kyle to take the wave without the risk of us colliding. Thankfully, there's another way shortly after, so I take that one since Kyle can't make this one time time.

       I keep doing that method until I decide I had enough surfing for the day, so I head back to my friends. I can't wait for tryouts, especially since all the coaches I've had in the past didn't tolerate dropping in during practices, so there's no way Kyle would be able to keep doing this during official practices.

____________________

them being done with their semester of school makes me want to be done with mine lol. i just got two weeks left, plus one week of exams. or exam, since i just have one and it's the week after classes end so i don't have to wait too long for it.

then i just have one more semester before finally graduating from university :') ngl i'm going to miss it. it's stressful, sure, but i had a great time at it. (i might go back anyway because i've been thinking of being an ea. but i'm going to take a year or two off to see if i still want to after graduating, since i don't want to start studying for it only to realize i won't want to be one)