chapter 21: weisz is stressed

~weisz~

       I rest my head against the table, not sure if my brain can retain anymore information. I don't get how some people can study for hours on end without feeling like their brain is going to explode. 

       I also don't understand how people can just not study and still do well on tests. Reno especially. That boy can just zone out in class and still get at least a B. I don't know how he does it, and I wish I had that skill so I didn't have to stress over studying.

       "Do you want to take a break?" Jane asks. "You look like you're about to hit your head on the table."

       "No," I mutter. "If I take a break now, I'm afraid I'll get back to not wanting to study, which would only make me fail in the end."

       "You're not going to fail," Jane assures. "You know most, if not, all of the material. You're basically just working on making sure you understand the exam questions and know how to answer it."

       I lift my head. "How can you be so sure?"

       Jane furrows her eyebrows. "Uh, because I'm helping you study? I'm not reteaching you the material. You know all of this stuff. I think you're just stressing out too much about the minor possibility of you failing."

       I sigh. "I guess. I just... I really don't want to fail any of my classes. I want to be able to have a filling summer break where I can do what I want. Especially because... I'm thinking of competing in surfing again this summer."

       Jane smiles. "That's great, Weisz."

       "But I won't be able to if I have to go to summer school since we train a lot during the summer."

       "You're not going to have to go to summer school."

       "You don't know that."

       "Remind me, what are you getting in social studies?"

       "A C+."

       Jane grabs her phone, opening the calculator app. She makes a few calculations before saying, "Yeah, since the final exam is only worth twenty-five percent, it will be impossible for you to fail the class. Even if you, somehow, get a zero on the final, you'll still pass with exactly fifty percent, and that's only if you're on the cusp of a C+ since I don't know your exact percentage. Sure, it won't be the best grade, but at least it's still a passing grade."

       I think about what Jane had just told me, and I would be lying if I said I didn't think about giving up completely with studying now that I know I can pass no matter what. However, I know my parents won't be too happy if I barely pass the class. They're, thankfully, not the type of parents who insists that I get only A's since they themselves weren't straight A students. Still, they tried their best, so I know I should at least try too.

       I hope knowing I can't fail at least takes some of the stress off of me. I know it won't completely ease my stress since tests are always stressful, regardless if I know if I'll fail or not.

       But at least I feel like I can get back to studying without, hopefully, feeling like my head is going to explode.

       Jane helps me study for another hour before we decide that we're done for the day. I think I did a bit better with studying, but not enough for me to be confident that I'll pass the exam with a high grade.

       I text Reno to let him know that I'm done studying, and he soon comes to the library from wherever he was. Jane didn't let him in the school's library with us because she said Reno would be too distracting for me. I don't know what she was talking about. I could totally focus on studying without looking at Reno to appreciate how hot he is.

       Okay, I totally understand why Jane didn't want him in the library with us. 

       "Thanks for helping me study, Jane," I say as we pack up our stuff.

       "Of course," Jane says. "Do you feel ready enough for the test or would you like to study together again?"

       "Uh... I think I'd like to study one more time before the exam," I say. "Maybe the day before or the day of."

       "Sure. Just let me know when." Jane gives me a hug before leaving the library.

       "Want to go make out?" Reno asks as soon as Jane is out of earshot.

       "Hell yeah," I say. "I definitely need some sort of stress reliever."

       Reno and I leave the school, heading out to the parking lot and to his car. Reno doesn't drive away once we get into the car since we decide to make out for a bit instead. We're both two horny teenagers so we can't help it.

        Once we're, finally, driving home, I say, "Jane says there's no way I can fail social studies, even if I somehow get a zero. I'll barely pass, but I'll still pass."

       "So we can make out instead of you studying?"

       "Unfortunately, no. I'm still going to study, but only because I don't want to just barely pass. I'm sure my parents will be happy to hear that I want to surf competitively this year, but I'm worried they won't let me if my grades are shit."

       "I'm sure that's not true," Reno says. "You've been through a lot the past year. They'll definitely let you surf."

       "Why? Because I had cancer?"

       Reno sighs. "I didn't mean it like that. They're going to let you surf not just because of your cancer, but because your cancer interred with your schooling for a bit, so it's no big deal that you're not passing with flying colours."

       "Sorry," I say. "I just hate when people let me do stuff and get away with things just because I have, or had, cancer. I don't want it to define me as a person."

       "It's not defining you," Reno assures. "The people who truly love and care about you are still treating you the same. We're not giving you any special treatment you don't want."

       I smile at Reno. "Thanks."

___________________

i, too, don't understand how people can study for hours on end. i study for like ten minutes before giving up lol. bless my degree for rarely having exams and tests.