1 │Evening audience

Start from the beginning

Giselle snorted and grabbed one of her mistress's hands to pull her toward her private chambers.

"It's not that I don't trust your skills... But in your absence the King has ordered the whole family to be prepared urgently for the evening audience, yourself included."

Somewhere along the way, Giselle let go of her hand, and Freya had to keep a fairly fast pace to keep up with her maid. At the woman's words, she slowed down slightly but quickly came to her senses and resumed her earlier pace.

"Evening audience?! What the heck is that about?" She bumbled. Never in her twenty-five years of life had Freya witnessed anything like an evening audience. More than once, her father had been forced to receive sudden guests and grant them audiences, but for audiences where the presence of the entire royal family was required, such events were planned in advance and certainly not organized in the evening.

"Shush, we must hurry, the visitors will arrive any minute, and you look like you were not hunting, but bathing in mud. It's good that you at least wear those hideous outfits instead of your dresses, because it certainly would be nothing for you to wear at this point," Giselle complained on the way for which Freya did not resent her. She was glad that her maid was not afraid to express her thoughts aloud. She found it refreshing. Maybe that's why, despite the hierarchy imposed on them, they became excellent friends over time.

"These hideous outfits you mentioned are called britches, and I cannot wear my dresses. I would hunt nothing wearing them." Freya caught Giselle rolling her eyes and smirked at that.

"Thank gods for that," her maid muttered.

Just then, they arrived at the door to Freya's chambers. Once inside, Giselle rushed immediately to see if the bath she had ordered for her lady was still warm. She ordered it to be prepared as soon as she had spotted her at the palace's grounds. The temperature seemed to satisfy her because she immediately proceeded to help her mistress get free of her dirty clothes and get into the bath.

"This is heaven." Freya closed her eyes and began to drift into the bliss.

"Oh no, no, no! Chop, chop! No time to rest, I'll help with your hair," Giselle scolded and hurried to wash her hair. Once she was done, she helped Freya leave the bathtub and went to the wardrobe for dress picking.

"What would you like to wear for that meeting?" She asked from a distance.

"Prepare the green one with loose straps. It goes well with my hair."

The maid returned in the blink of an eye holding one of the most beautiful dresses she had ever seen. Her mistress had chosen well. Indeed, the dress combined with her hair was going to be an exquisite fitting.

What Giselle never said aloud, was that she envied her mistress's hair with all her heart. She loved taking care of them. They were carrot-red, thick and curly. Simply astonishing. And they perfectly emphasized the natural beauty of the young lady. In her opinion, Freya was the most beautiful woman in the kingdom—slender, but curved in the right places, not too tall, and with that pretty heart-shaped face, emphasized by the stunning green eyes. And from what her eyes caught, she wasn't the only one who thought so. Whenever her mistress wandered outside of the palace's walls, where everyone had become accustomed to her charm, she was followed by longing glances from both—men and women.

She was almost finished when she caught the thoughtful look of her lady.

"What's on your mind?" She asked softly, this time not as a maid but as her friend.

Freya sighed softly. "I don't like this. There must be something wrong that Father agreed to this audience," she replied earnestly.

"Whatever it is, I'm sure the king will handle it without trouble." With that, Giselle finished pinning up her lady's hair, allowing her to get up and put on the dress lying on the bed.

"I guess we will see... I have bad feelings about that, though."

Fully dressed and ready for whatever was ahead, Freya left her chambers and headed toward the main hall. When she got there, she met her siblings right in front of the door, looking uptight. She was surprised they weren't already inside.

"Why haven't you come in yet?" She asked calmly, changing glances from her teenage sister to her little brother.

"We didn't want to go in without you," Eloise replied, supported by Emmett's timid nod.

"Aren't you the sweetest, scared little chickens?" Freya laughed, genuinely surprised, sending them her widest smile. She was scared too, but the children didn't need to know that. "Well, let's go in there together then, as a family, all right?"

They answered her with willing nods. As an encouragement, she grabbed each one's hand, stroking the top with her thumbs.

"Don't be scared, little ones, your big sister won't let anything bad happen to you. I swear."

And with that, they crossed the threshold. Freya could not have knownthen, how binding that promise was going to be.

 Freya could not have knownthen, how binding that promise was going to be