Somebody That Mattered

Alana's POV

I looked in the mirror, my mother had insisted on flying over with a golden dress from Italy which reached the floor and highlighted the tan of my skin and the blue in my eyes; she'd always dressed me well. I enjoyed dressing up, it felt like I'd been trained for wearing heels from the second I could walk and wearing dresses like this wasn't an uncommon occurrence, but this time it was special; I wasn't dressed up for my father's company event or a charity gala, but instead this was for me. All for me. 

The plane journey over to Paris had been quiet, everyone from the Barcelona squad, who was attending the event, arrived at the plane before the sun had even risen. I'd sat in a section with Ingrid, Mapi and Gabby where they'd all slept while I watched the views of the clouds and sunrises below.
I'd seen Alexia enter the plane, our eyes had even caught for a second but then I'd diverted my attention back to people who I could understand, rather than those who enjoyed to mess with my mind and forever hide the truth under false pretenses and multiple personas. 

We'd arrived to Paris by the late morning, that was where Gabby and I had met our mother, who'd booked a suite in one of Paris' most exclusive hotels and then she'd taken us out for a gorgeous lunch with a view of the Eiffel tower and the beautiful architecture of the iconic city. 

My father had kept to his word and not joined us on the trip, though of course my mother had excused his absence by saying he had 'an important business meeting which was impossible to reschedule' though I knew he just hadn't had the faith in me to come. It was important today to win, not only to show myself that all the hard work had paid off, but I also dreamed of proving him wrong. I dreamed of showing him I'd achieved more than he could've ever imagined. 

Gabby had left to go and meet Kyra in the lobby, I don't think I'd ever see my sister so impatient for the hours to morph into seconds; she'd been staring at the clock since the minute we arrived back from our walk around the city. 

The hairdresser had come to do my hair this afternoon and the makeup artist had only just left, I often found the buildup to these events was much more exciting than the actual award show but that was because I'd always known I'd miss out, but this time it seemed I had a chance. This time it seemed I really could bring that award home.
I could only imagine the anger on Putellas' face if my name was called, maybe she'd finally realize that the world wasn't hers to own and this sport wasn't one which she'd always win in. 'La Reina' had to learn to loose and it would be an even sweeter victory if I was the one to beat her to it today, especially after my father's views and his failure to attend the awards. 
We may have wished one another luck last night, but that moment of quiet would never excuse all of the lies and torture we'd put one another through. 

I wanted to win. So did she. At the end of the day, she wouldn't ever hand the award over to me, so why should I ever do that for her?

I had Gabby, my mother and Phil as my guests tonight, they were all the family I needed; my father would've only filled the night with his condescending comments towards me and praises towards Alexia.

I walked out of my bedroom to see my mother sitting in the living room on a silk green chaise lounge as she overlooked the city with a teacup sitting delicately in her fingers. 

"Mum," A smile crept up slowly on my face as she turned around, I knew she'd been the parent to always believe in me and fight with my father to allow me to continue in this sport I adored; I wouldn't have been here without her. 

"Oh darling," My mother sighed, setting her drink down on the table and getting to her feet, "You are a sight for sore eyes."

I lightly laughed, my hands fell to my side as I watched the tears well in the blue of my mothers eyes; I saw a lot of myself in her, I just wished she'd have been able to make it alone and maybe we'd be more similar than she'd have ever imagined. "Don't cry Mum," My eyebrows knitted together as I took steps towards her.