twelve

October arrived, spreading a damp chill over the grounds and into the castle. Madam Pomfrey, the nurse, was kept busy by a sudden spate of colds among the staff and students. Her Pepperup potion worked instantly, though it left the drinker smoking at the ears for several hours afterward. Ginny Weasley, who had been looking pale, was bullied into taking some by Percy. The steam pouring from under her vivid hair gave the impression that her whole head was on fire.

Raindrops the size of bullets thundered on the castle windows for days on end; the lake rose, the flower beds turned into muddy streams, and Hagrid's pumpkins swelled to the size of garden sheds. Oliver Wood's enthusiasm for regular training sessions, however, was not dampened, which was why Harry was to be found, late one stormy Saturday afternoon a few days before Halloween, returning to Gryffindor Tower, drenched to the skin and splattered with mud.

Even aside from the rain and wind it hadn't been a happy practice session. The Gryffindor team has experienced for themselves the speed of those new Nimbus Two Thousand and Ones. They were all excited for the upcoming match, wanting to show off their new brooms too.

Lilith can be found in the stands, a bubble charm around her to protect her from the weather, and Oliver's scarf he insisted she wears to make sure she wouldn't get sick. He had also berated her for hanging out with Cedric, apparently he was scared Cedric would get out the Gryffindor's team new tactics since Cedric himself was a seeker for his team.

When Lilith told him they were only practicing spells he had calmed down slightly, but then scolded her for hanging out around boys who weren't him, the twins, or Harry and Ron. She giggled at that.

"We've covered D.A.D.A, Charms, Transfiguration, and Potions." Cedric listed as they sat once more against their tree. He then turned towards the girl, "You've taught me everything I need to know in the span of a week."

Lilith shrugged with a smile.

"How'd you know all this? You're a second year."

"My aunt's an amazing witch. She taught me everything I know." She told him. "Plus, it's really not that hard."

"Well.." He trailed off, "Can you cast the Patronus Charm?" Lilith nodded, pulling out her wand. "Expecto Patronum." A burst of bright light appeared from the tip of her wand, morphing into a shape.

Once it took form, Cedric gaped at it. "A dragon. A bloody dragon." True to his words, Lilith's patronus form was a dragon, not just any dragon, but it took form of Midnight, her dragon who was happily living in the Underworld.

Her patronus seemed to capture the attention of the students around as they started whispering and pointing at it, and it also captured the attention of Professor McGonagall.

"How'd you do it?" Cedric asked her with a serious tone, Lilith laughed lightly. "I'm a happy girl. I have many happy memories. It won't be hard if you're a happy person."

Cedric then grinned, wiggling his eyebrows. "Yes, I'll teach you, Ceddy." Lilith giggled. "Not here though, tomorrow, meet me in the seventh floor?" Cedric nodded eagerly.

Before they could continue their conversation, someone interrupted. "Miss Jade."

The duo looked up to see Professor McGonagall staring at her with a glint in her eyes. "Was it you, who managed to form a corporeal patronus?"

Lilith nodded hesitantly, glancing at Cedric. Was she in trouble?

"Well then-" She seemed breathless, "I suppose you are advanced as well in other charms and spells?"

Lilith nodded once more. "Would you like to have extra credits?"

Lilith pondered this, she didn't really need extra credits, she had full marks on all her lessons. "Er, I don't think extra credits would do me much good, Professor."