Chapter 27: No Regrets

Hanji parked the car and Levi snapped out of his thoughts. He looked around. This isn't the graveyard? He looked over to see that they were at a grocery store.

"Why are we here?" He asked Hanji, confused.

Hanji laughed at him. "To get flowers, of course!"

Hanji and Levi ran into the store to buy flowers. After picking the prettiest ones they could find they returned to the car. It was times like this that Levi was especially grateful for Hanji. What would he do without her?

A few minutes later they arrived at the cemetery. Hanji parked the car and turned it off. She looked at Levi, who was holding all of the flowers. "Are you ready?"

Levi took a deep breath and nodded. It was time.

After wandering for a while, the two finally found their graves. Levi stared at the headstones.

Olou Bozado

Eld Jinn

Petra Ral

Gunther Schultz

Levi fell to his knees in front of them. Hanji helped him place the flowers neatly at the base of the stones. She squeezed his shoulder, "I'll give you guys some time." She said as she walked back towards the car.

Levi sighed as Hanji walked away. "I guess it's just us now." He laughed sadly as tears welled in his eyes. Just being here made him feel closer to them. Levi finally broke. He couldn't hold his tears back anymore.

"I-I'm so sorry!" He sobbed and put his face in the ground. "I didn't want this to happen, you guys didn't deserve this-" He choked out.

Levi swore he felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up through teary eyes to see Petra. Behind her was Eld, Gunther, and Olou. They weren't like what he was used to seeing. Normally they were taunting him and covered in blood. Right then they looked angelic. Petra kneeled next to Levi. She reached a hand up to cup his face. Levi could almost feel it.

"You don't have to apologize, Levi." She smiled.

Tears continued to stream down his face. "I d-didn't mean to hurt you guys-" He tried to explain, but Petra shook her head and held her finger to his lips.

"We know, Levi."

Relief flooded his body. They knew I didn't do it on purpose. Could they possibly forgive me?

As if they could hear his thoughts, Gunther stepped forward. "Of course we forgive you, Levi, it wasn't your fault."

Levi felt like a weight had been lifted from his chest. "There's so much I want to say..."

They smiled at him. "You'll have a chance. We will see you again, Levi. When you are ready." Their figures started to fade.

"D-don't go!" He pleaded.

Petra looked over her shoulder. "Live, Levi, keep fighting, find happiness."

"We love you, Captain."

The four fallen soldier saluted him. Levi stood up and faced them and put his fist over his chest. "I promise. I will live, for you guys. I won't regret this choice." He wouldn't regret being alive ever again. He stayed there with his fist over his heart and he watched them disappear.