chapter 1 "The trip to the lake"

Glinda was not afraid of anything that she knew of. Even at the age of 12 Summers she was not afraid of the dark. Actually she would enjoy walking through the giant trees in the evening with just the moon to show her light. She always enjoyed the sound of the winds blowing through the tall pines at her parents home,it seemed as if the trees were singing. Glinda loved many things, she loved the animals of The forest, the birds. She especially loved the horses on her father's farm. She seemed to find joy in all things and her surroundings.
       Being the only child came with many privileges ,but also many responsibilities. she enjoyed reading and riding horses whenever she liked.She always had chores with the animals and gardens as well as helping her mother with house hold duties.Glinda never shied away from work ,always willing to help the groomers or the Field me
n with there work.
Glinda's farther had been an officer in the kings army and would often be gone to teach at the academy for weeks at a time.Glinda's mother was a natural healer and taught her much about herbs and salves for wounds and the like.Her father had taught her the basics of fighting and how to use a bow and some sword play.she didn't like the fighting, but understood the need for defense.
     They had many workers on their farm all who had families of there own.Every year her family and many others of there village would travel to the lake for what they called , "The Gathering". They would meet with other people from surrounding villages and towns to harvest the valuable wild berries that grew in the meadows and cliffs around the lake.This was a festive time that would last for a few weeks.
    The berries" blackins"were as large as an apple that grew close to the ground on vines ,but could grow tall, as a man.Blackins we're bittersweet and used for all kinds of cooking ,they also had a medicinal use as well, which made them very valuable.
     Glinda looked forward to these trips, for many of the children from other places would come and the adults would let the children play and swim more than work,it was a joyous time.
      Glinda was excited as she helped her mother pack there horse drawn wagon.
     Sans, one of the horsemen that worked for her father ,was hooking up the two horse team to the wagon."morning miss" he said to Glinda, " morning Sanny"she smiled at the big man."you seem extra happy today girl",Sans said. Glinda was singing while she stroked the mane of the brown mare close to her.She giggled "have you seen father today"she asked. "Why yes he's at the barns talking to some of the kings men,I believe",he replied.
     Glinda s mother came out of the house with a bow,a quiver full of arrows a leather case Glinda new was here mother's sword.Glinda frowned at her mother."she's never brought out her sword for this trip before",she thought.
Glinda turned at the sound of horses approaching.her father and six men all dressed like soldiers came to stop in front of the wagon.Her father jumped down and tusseled her hair as he past her "morning Lin" he said with a smile.he went straight to her mother and whispered. Her mother raised her hand over her mouth and gasped a little, looking at glinda then the horsemen then back at Glinda.Her father waved her over ,he bent down and helped her up into the wagon.thats when she noticed her father was wearing a sword and his bow and armor we're slung over his horses saddle bags.she locked eyes with him,he smiled, "I'm not riding with you to the lake today hun, I've got some duties to do for the general",glanceing at her mother.Glinda started to asked why. "Don't worry punkin,I will meet you all at the lake when you arrive in three days.Sans here will drive you up"nodding to him.The big man tossed his gear under the seat and climbed up.Her father hugged her mother and with a kiss on Glinda's cheek he pointed to two of the horsemen ,these two will accompany you,the Jans family with others will meet you tonight at first camp then you'll all ride together to the lake",with that said ,he jumped up on his horse,waved and rode off with the remaining horsemen.
      Sans snapped the reins and started the horses out at a slow pace through the gates of their farm.The two soldiers fell in behind the wagon.Glinda watched her father pass over the fields to the west until they went into the trees on the old logging road west.she glanced back at the soldiers as they rode along quietly.she looked at her mother with questions in her eyes.but her mother smiling said "not now dear".Glinda nodded and settled in for the long ride to first camp.
After an hour or so of riding the Jans family and three other wagons joined them.Glinda waved to two of the girls with Mr. and mrs.Jans, they were twins and about her age.Sans who Glinda fondly called Sanny, told many funny stories and kept them all entertained and laughing most of the trip.
      They crested a ridge on the road north and could see several wagons had set up camp along a river.Sans and the others pulled in to make camp.Glinda helped her mother pull things out for the nights meal and set up."Mother why did father have to leave with them soldiers?are there bandits on the roads again?"Glinda asked quietly."What, no.where did you hear that, the general needed some of your father's advice, that's all dear,now why don't you give Sans a hand with the horses then go visit the twins ok"Glinda nodded,"ok" and started to run off when her mother called after her," Don't stray off and stay close to the wagons."I won't".she replied.
      Sans was feeding the horses when she found him."can I help "?she asked.Sans smiled," of course,they need a good rub down if you want".she giggled and grabbed a heavy cloth and brush, then went to work.an hour had past and the horses were bedded down for the night.
      Glinda went to the river to wash up for supper and the twins came along."how have you been Glinda ask the girls.one was named Sandy who was loud and quite outspoken,with brown hair.the other Suzie, was blonde haired and shy."have you seen the Thomas boys yet,they are so dreamy", said Sandy. "I'm going to marry one of them some day ma says".laughing and dancing around.Glinda smiled and laughed at her antics "really, that's nice" Glinda responded.Suzi laughed at her sisters display "you wish, they don't even notice you and there older than us anyway's"."ya well I've got these now,"Sandy says as she pouted her lips and stuck out her bosoms.Glinda just giggled and thought "these girls seem silly".A horn blew, the girls looked back towards the encampment."oh that's Da's horn, we gotta go, suppers almost ready", exclaimed Sandy,"you coming?",she ask Glinda,"yes I'm right behind you".the girls scrabbled off arguing the whole way on who was more pretty.
Glinda shook her head in dismay and looked into the water at her own refection."Am I pretty"? she thought to herself.long red wavy hair, light skinned a few freckles across her nose and cheeks and green eyes.hym" looking down at her small developing breasts..laughing hard she slapped the water. "Silly girls" she said out loud ,As Glinda turn to leave she thought she saw movement in the underbrush and thick fir trees by the river.she stepped closer then stopped.she could hear what sounded like sniffing and a low thud.she started to move closer when a horn blew again from the camp.she looked back at the spot she heard the sound.nothing happened.Shugging off her curious mind she went to find her mother.
    Camp was a flurry of movement ,children were running to and frow,men sat by a large fire talking quietly eyeing the two soldiers standing nearby.Glinda looked closer at the two men her father had sent with them.They looked roughly the same age, both wore the same green tunics with a light silver chain mail that covered their upper body from shoulder to arms.they both had swords with matching talbards in the kings colors ,gold on green.one of the men had a bow across his shoulder and the other a round sheild.What stood out was they were young and "looked confident with themselves",Glinda thought.
"There you are girl", Glinda's mother said with a smile.she look Glinda in the eyes "what's wrong",?Glinda moved in close to her mother and gestured towards the soldiers."why are they here",she asked her mother quietly.
"There's been some troubles to the north of the city Neftar.so your father went to meet with the leaders from the area to gather information.he thought it best that the families had some trained men along",said her mother.
"What kind of troubles"? Glinda asked.
"No one knows for sure, probably bandits, but it's a long way to Neftar from where we're going.we should be fine"her mother said with confidence. Putting ease to Glinda's mind."here" handing two heaping plates of hot food to her,"give these to the boys ",
nodding to the soldiers.
"Ok mother".she approached the two men they bowed slightly"evening miss" they said in a strange accent."mother thought you'd be hungry",Glinda said with a smile ."thank you, and thank her ,for us please".both men said bowing.
Blushing Glinda bowed back then hurried to the spot her mother was waiting with a plate for her."thank you" as she grabbed the plate with steaming vegetables and game hen,some bread and a thick slice of cheese and went to sit by the fire with everyone else.
She past two older boys and they stood and puffed out their chest and said "evening Glinda" in as deep of a voice as they could muster for their fifteen summers.Glinda looked at them and hid her laugh and nodded."that must be the Thomas boys".laughing she settled in between Sanny and another older gentleman and began eating.
The twins sat across the fire from her .she nodded to them and they waved then they focused their attention to the two brothers as they told some story in a dramatic way.she could see the twins were in total awe of the boys.Glinda shook her head,"I wonder if I will ever find someone who would make me act like that". chuckling she went back to eating, listening to the men talk.
"Well Grady up in Middletown said they had raider's come into wood camp at Tube's Lake and stole horses and stor's from the coral there",said one man."You don't say "said another."truth ".says the man.the two young soldiers came over to the fire with drinks and nelt down to warm themselves.Mr.Jans looked at Sans,"any truth in that Jacob"? Sans scratched his chin and locked eyes with Glinda, I've heard some rumors like you folks,but no confirmation".he said looking at the two soldiers."oh we thought you might know something, because you work for the captain",said Mr.Jans.
Glinda looked at Sanny hoping for an answer also.
Sans seemed to ignore the comment. "Hey aren't you two the Barons boys?" he said to the soldiers.
They both looked at each other then nodded,"yes we are Sargent",one said smiling. "Shoot, I remember when you boys joined ten years back, wasn't it?" They both nodded ,"more like fifteen years now sir "said the younger one.
"well Sargent no longer"."Sans or Jacob will do now boys,how's your father,stubborn as his mules ,I expect "smiling.both men laughed out loud at that," yes", they both said at once.
Sans locked eyes with the soldiers,"so what have you heard",
Both men looked at each other.the older one, Jeff was his name,"we've been told that some bandits have been causing some troubles up near tubes lake and out near palate light house ,on the old Dwarven road. The younger one named Greg said,"the reports say their foreigners".
Mr.Jans spoke up "ever since the king signed that treaty with the Southern Realm there have been a host of traveler's at our farm buying grain".
"Aye", said one man,we always thought that was a bad idea.them southern elves and black men trade with goblins we hear".
Many voices agreed and some looked frightened Glinda noticed.
Sans said,"ok folks that's enough talk, your scaring the children",nodding towards the kids hanging by the fire.
The men quieted down. some of the woman lead children by the hand," come it's time for bed".
Glinda stood "here let me take your plate"she said to Sans. "I think I'll help mother, then turn in",she smiled and nodded to the two brothers.When she was gone Sans turned to the brothers "so what's your orders"?looking around only a few men were left at the fire."sir we were told by the captain, Glinda's pa,to watch over this lot until we reach the lake,where he would meet up with us with a squad of regulars.and to follow any orders you might have," Jeff said.
"We plan on standing guard tonight"said Greg.
"Well why don't you boys get some rest and I'll take first watch",Sans said.
Both men agreed "thank you".
     Sans checked in on Glinda and her mother,finding them in good shape.After checking the horses, he walk through the camp, nine wagons and a couple of carts stood.people were getting settled for the night.
Jeff was just awoken by his brother a few hours before sunrise.Jeff looked into the darkness towards the river.somthing was making a lot of noise in the brush.just out of sight.He pulled his sword and approached cautiously.but just before he got there the noises stopped ."what do you have there"Gregg whispered with a smile. Jeff jumped when his brother spoke,"damn don't do that",Jeff said wide eyed."don't really know,I was going to find out".
"I know ,that's why I stopped you, I couldn't sleep, heard the horses acting strange. Thought I better check on you,before you do something rash,seems I was right".
"What was that sound, "Gregg ask "you heard it".
"I'm not sure ,but I'm not going to go stumbling around in the woods in the dark."Let's get back to camp and tell Sans what we found".
Glinda awoke with a start,"what's that" she thought.the horses were neighing and moving around in their pen.then she could hear the sounds of something else outside.the wagon,her mother was sound asleep.she thought about waking her.then all the sounds stopped.she pulled open the ties on the
Covered wagon and peered out.she could see it was getting close to daylight.
The fire still burned brite and three figures huddled around it."that must be Sanny and those two soldiers,I wonder what they're talking about".she thought for a minute then laid back down,but sleep was far away,as she thought about the sounds from earlier.
      Sans looked at the two men,
"I also heard the sounds,like gashing teeth,low growling,but other sounds I can't explain.it seemed to be taunting me to come into the darkness,but when I got close it would stop"."never have I experienced anything so odd",he paused.
"We will reach the gathering place tomorrow afternoon,if we take only a short break at midday ,then push on"Sans said to the soldiers.
"I think that's sound advice" says Jeff,and Gregg agreed.