Prologue - Dark Angel

It was a normal evening. People walked a bit fast to their home, coming from work. The shadows made the city's darkest corner look scary. It was a feeling as if thousand faces watch you on your way home hidden in the darkness. The homeless people retreated and crouched in an almost invisible corner hoping to be indiscoverable. The city geared up for the night and the dangers it brings along.

And there was one particular girl. She wasn't big nor small. Her hair was long, brown and a bit curly. Beautiful green eyes looked around as she examined her surroundings. This girl wore black sneakers, a dark blue jeans and a black coat which she wrapped tight around her upper body with her arms. She walked fast, the cold began to get under her skin. Whenever she passed by a group of men they would whistle and laugh, inviting her to come over to have some fun. Everytime the girl would look in the other direction and ignore them.

She went to the next metro station and waited patiently for the train which arrived after a few minutes. The drive was long since she was in the centre but lived on the outskirts of the city. After at least half an hour they announced the last stop. Only one more person was still on the train but it was a woman in her early 40's. Both of them got off and walked on in different directions. The girl went with less speed than before.

She liked the neighbourhood where she lived with her family. The people were friendly and there were no drunk people on the streets at night. The girl liked the darkness. Not the one in town where you have to be afraid of getting stabbed. She liked the silent, calm and safe darkness. Where you can lay on the grass on a clearing in the middle of the forest and watch the stars without the fear that a man comes by and rapes you or that animals attack you. Not that the last one would ever happen. She arrived at her house and was greeted by her mother as soon as she stepped in after unlocking the door.

"Mia, finally! I was scared! The centre is dangerous when it's dark," She hugged the girl, Mia. The elder woman had brown hair just like her daughter but her eyes were a dark blue that always sparkle with happiness. The laughter lines around her eyes showed her friendly character. Her black dress hugged her curves. She was a bit smaller but apart from that she looked like Mia.

"It's okay mom, I am at home now. Nothing happened," Mia reassured her mother.

"She's right Elora," The father stepped out of the bathroom while drying his wet brown hair with a towel. "You worry too much." He smiled which made his blue eyes sparkle, put the towel around his shoulders and squeezed Mia softly.

"Let's eat dinner," Elora said sighing. The three of them sat down at table and began to put food on their plates.

"Jed, can you give me the water jar, please?" Elora asked her husband who immediately gave it to her.

"How was your job interview, Mia?" He asked his daughter. Mia shrugged and swallowed down the food before she answered.

"I don't want to do the job. It doesn't seem as if I would have fun working there."

"Have you already any other ideas for a job?" Elora asked whereat Mia shrugged.

While the family ate dinner they didn't notice someone watching them. He sat on a branch of the biggest tree in front of the window on the side of the house in which Mia's room is located. His black hair fell in his dark eyes as he examined his surroundings. It was calm and safe. He leaned back against the trunk, the right leg bent while the other one hang from the tree. His right arm rested on his knee. The black wings spread a bit to feel the wind. The man could have been a statue the way he didn't move for a long time. Only his wings where the outer feathers fluttered in the wind revealed him. He liked it when Mia was at home. It was the safest place where she can be. She didn't know about the mysterious and magical world that surrounded her that was dangerous. Her innocence was good for her.

The man adjusted his precious black wings until he was content and relaxed again. Soon he saw them stand up. Mia went upstairs into her room and took her pyjama composed of a short cloth pants and a big t-shirt. Her room was small. Right in front of the window was her bed so that she could see the stars whenever she was unable to sleep. Other than that she barely had any furniture. Only a desk with a laptop and a wooden cupboard. In the left corner was a ladder that led to a skylight. She would often go to the roof, lay down and watch the stars. Sometimes Mia even slept there.

After around ten minutes of using the bathroom she came into her room again wearing the dark blue pants and a white t-shirt. As always she took a blanket, climbed the ladder and opened the skylight to be greeted by the warm wind that blew through the streets and trees. She closed her eyes and inhaled deep. She went all the way up, placed the blanket on the roof before laying down. That was the most beautiful moment of the day for her as well as for him. He looked up and watched the stars, too, through the leaves of the tree. The one moment in which they were linked by their fascination of the night sky.