18.

The loss against England that knocked the Tillies out of the World Cup final had finally settled in for most of the team as they worked hard in preparation for the 3rd place match against Sweden where both countries would fight hard for a medal

The girls spent the first couple of days after the loss analysing their game and the Swedish players and games so far. The mood at each training started off very sad but soon built to determination everyone wanting to come away with a medal for themselves and their country. Mia found out she would most likely come on in the second half for the game, happy she wasn't starting giving herself a break in the first half.

Finally after a long week it was time for the Matildas to play their final game in the tournament. The final was scheduled for the next day so after the third place match and the final there would be a finished podium. Mia looked around the locker room, the team having come from a warm up. Everyone was doing their pre-match routines, some had headphones in, some fiddled with their boots while others just sat around chatting.

Mia sat in her cubby tying up her boots, every now and them her eyes would move around the room observing what her teammates were doing. A feeling of not only nervousness but determination was felt around the room, everyone knew that Sweden were a tough opponent. They were definitely not going to go down without a fight and the Tillies knew it.

Soon enough it was nearly kick off time and the subs including Mia made their way to the benches. Mia watched as each teams starting eleven walked out and sung along loudly to their last national anthem of the tournament.

Sam brought everyone into her captain talk before splitting off so the girls could take the field. Mia cheered along with the crowd as she took her position on  the bench to watch the first half of the game play out.

"We are back for the third place match where we are watching the hosts who were knocked out by England and Sweden who were knocked out by Spain face off to see who takes home the third place medal. Each team is hungry for a good result and we are definitely in for an amazing game today."

The whistle blew and the game started with Sweden holding possession. Mia clapped along with the crowd, cheering when Macca got a good save on a Swedish ball. The minutes continue to tick by as the bench watches Sweden have chance after chance but the Tillies were able to keep the challenges unsuccessful.

Mia watches as Blackstenius goes down in the box due to pressure from Polks, praying that a penalty is rewarded. But unfortunately the ref makes the final decision and Sweden is given a chance to get a goal.

"Just like that Clare Polkinghorne took down Stina Blackstenius inside the box in the early minutes of the game and a penalty is rewarded to Sweden."

Fridolina Rolfo goes to take the penalty, Mia watches as Macca's stretch wasn't enough and the penalty goes in making the score 1-0 to Sweden.

"GOALL from Rolfo as Arnold dives the right way but it flies just past her finger tips, the game just begun leaving room for anything to happen in further moments."

{RAY OF SUNSHINE} - Matildas ☀On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara