"Then we better think fast, because this plan is not going to work," FP said, standing. "I'm going to see Betty."

"Keep your mouth shut, boy," FP called after him before turning back to me.

I sighed, leaning back against the couch. "He's right, it's not going to work."

FP sighed. "Don't say that Babygirl. It's not a permanent thing, we just need to find out when and how they're going to get revenge for that streetrace. Once we know that, we can be ready. We'll get the Ghoulies out of Riverdale for good and you'll be free of them for good."

"Which side am I gonna be on when the time comes? If I stand with the Ghoulies, I'm a goddamn traitor in the eyes of the Serpents. But if I stand with the Serpents, that gives the Ghoulies an opportunity to change their plan. Maybe I should leave town, go somewhere nobody knows me. Start over."

"We'll figure all that out when the time comes," FP said. "Where are you going?"

"Home, I answered. "I want to go home and go to sleep so I can quit thinking for a little bit. It's either that, or I go to the Ghoulies and shut everything off that way."

I shut the door before he could reply, walking slowly through Sunnyside. I was about to lose all of this. My friends, my family. Everything. But I had to do it, I had to protect the Serpents, and this was the only way.

When I let myself in, Sweet Pea was at the table, buried by homework as usual. "I'm going to bed," I said, hanging my jacket on the back of a chair. I didn't know what time it was, or care. I just wanted to sleep.

"Abigail, what's wrong?" he asked, looking up at me.

"I'm just tired, that's all," I said, not looking at him.

Sweet Pea sighed, following me to the bedroom. "I know there's more to it than that. Please, just talk to me," he pleaded, wrapping his arms around me.

I leaned against him, closing my eyes. "It's just...I have a feeling something's going to change soon. Something that will most likely be disastrous."

"None of us know what's going to happen in the future," Sweet Pea said. "But there is one thing I am sure about." When he didn't continue, I looked up, following his gaze to the framed picture on the dresser. Toni had been right that night she took it, we did love it. "Abigail, I love you, and I always will. No matter what happens." I couldn't help the small smile on my face as he leaned down, kissing me softly. "Get some sleep, I'll be over once I finish this assignment."

The next morning, Sweet Pea left early, saying he needed Toni's help with something, and Fangs was co-directing the school's musical, Carrie. Jughead had mentioned something about making a behind-the-scenes documentary of the production, not that I really wanted to spend the day with him. Cheryl was busy with some Carrie-esque plan she had regarding her mother who'd pulled Cheryl from the cast. That left me to spend the day at the Wyrm, catching up with Johnny, Brandon, and a few other Serpents.

That night, Sweet Pea and I joined a few other Serpents at the school for opening night as a show of support for our friends.

"Where were you all day?" I asked as we sat in our seats, waiting for the opening scene.

"Here and there," Sweet Pea answered secretly. "I was looking for something, and it took longer than I expected to find the perfect one."

I raised an eyebrow. "What is it?"

"Later," he whispered with a smile as the lights dimmed over the audience.

I sighed, laying my head on his shoulder as we watched the stage. As the musical progressed, I couldn't help wondering how everyone's roles had been chosen, their characters matching their personalities perfectly. Maybe that was why everything was going so well.

That was, until the backdrop rose, revealing Midge Klump, Cheryl's replacement pinned to the wall. "For God's sake, help her!" I heard Cheryl shouting from the front of the audience. Reading the words written around her, I knew that no amount of help would save her.

"We have to get out of here," I said, urging the Serpents towards the door. "We need to get back to Southside." They didn't question me, and before long we were skirting between cars, leaving behind the traffic jam in the parking lot.

Once inside the Wyrm, the boys circled around me, demanding to know why it was so important we leave before anyone else. "Because, you idiots," I snapped, "you know just as well as anyone that they're gonna try and pin this on us. They're going to try and say it was a Serpent copying the Black Hood. You especially," I said, looking at Sweet Pea.

"What did I do?" he demanded. "I didn't even know the girl."

"None of us did," Diamond said. "Except Fangs, but that's 'cause he was directing."

"And Jones, who has been making his documentary," I added. "Jones, who has a habit of saying things he shouldn't."

The Serpents nodded in agreement. "But what does any of that have to do with me?" Sweet Pea asked.

"Do you remember when Andrews made that stupid video, saying he and his crew were going to stop the Black Hood?" I paused, giving them time to think back.

I watched as it hit Sweet Pea. "I told Jones the Black Hood was a hero, going after Northsiders for us."

"Bingo," I said, nodding. "Sheriff Keller is going to be questioning everyone involved with that musical, including Jones. If he remembers that conversation, who's to say he won't crack under the pressure and spill?"

"Putting a huge-ass target on my back," Sweet Pea muttered. "What do we do? What do I do?"

I sighed. "I have to ask this: did any of you kill that girl, or know who did?" Everyone shook their heads while I studied their faces carefully. "Good. Then we're just going to lay low and hope Jones forgot about that comment."

Luck was on our side for once, and Jughead didn't say anything to make Sheriff Keller suspect the Serpents. Thanks to that, I found myself in Cheryl's bedroom a few days later, staring down at the River Vixen outfit laid out on the bed.

"Please say yes, my Salem witch," Cheryl said, hands clasped together under her chin.

I rolled my eyes at her nickname for me. "I'm sorry, but it's a hard no," I said.

"Please, I'm down a Vixen now, and you'd fit the uniform perfectly."

I turned to Cheryl, choosing my words carefully. "You want me to wear a dead girl's uniform? How would that look at her funeral?"

Cheryl smiled. "Oh, don't worry about that part. I had special black and white uniforms made for the Vixens to wear to funerals." Of course she did. "So you'll be joining the team? Toni will be so excited to have another Serpent by her side. And think of how it would look for the rest of the school, the Serpent Princess herself becoming a real part of the Riverdale High community."

"Okay, let me break it down for you here," I said. "One, I don't wear colorful stuff like that. Two, I can't sing. Three, I don't dance in front of people. And four, I have too much going on with the Serpents right now. It's not happening Cheryl. You're gonna have to find someone else to take Midge's place."

"Toni said the Serpent waters have been calm lately, what's keeping you so busy with them?" she asked.

"Someone has to make sure the waters stay calm," I replied, not meeting her eye. "I have somewhere I need to be, but I'll see you tomorrow at the funeral, okay?"

Author's Note: I went back and forth on a few parts of this chapter, changing my mind about how things were going to go.  Leave a comment and let me know what you think, and continue to vote.

And thank you to those of you who have voted and/or commented!