18 - Date Pt. 3

Unrelated note: I feel like the song "Drown Me" by Junie & TheHutFriends really matches this story; am I wrong?

-

Jax stared nervously at his attacker. He tried to delay his most likely inevitable death. "So, uh, you're the person that's trying to kill me I assume?" Jax tried his hardest to strike up a sly smile, but it ended up looking more desperate and terrified. The masked person said nothing. They sported a full black mask that hid all of their features, and wore all black clothing that was baggy and loose so he couldn't make out the body structure of his murderer.

"Look, I'm kind of on a date right now and I realllllly need to return back to her so-" At this the knife pushed harder against his throat. "Ok ok ok, obviously there's something you want from me, and I can't give that to you unless you tell me what that is." His attacker used their free arm to draw a line across their neck, then point at Jax.

"Well, I hate to break it to you but I can't really do that." His attempts at hindering this homicidal individual had worked so far, but he knew it couldn't last much longer. He devised a plan as quick as he could. "Maybe it's a good thing I broke my arm." Jax thought to himself.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't really see what you did there, my vision is pretty bad if you know what I mean-" The maniac lifted their hand off of Jax's left shoulder to slide their finger across their neck again, when Jax banged his cast against the attacker's head, successfully stunning them. He couldn't believe that actually worked; were they stupid? Jax was too worried about getting out of there to even contemplate unmasking his attacker. 

Jax dashed out of the "alleyway" and ran straight towards the Ferris wheel. He saw Pomni in line. "Pomni!" he yelled, but she couldn't hear him. He glanced behind him to see the masked person following around 10 feet away. "Pomni!" he yelled again, this time at the top of his lungs with worry lingering in his voice. This time, she turned to see him. She didn't seem at all concerned though. As he ran, he checked behind him again to see the murderer had simply vanished. His running slowed down to a light jog, and he panted, out of breath.

Pomni, finally realizing something was wrong, hopped out of line to come and check on Jax. "Hey, bunny boy, are you alright?" 

"Yeah..." he responded through gasps of air, keeping an eye on his surroundings. But then he saw them. Holding a knife. About to throw it. He tightly grabbed Pomni's hand, and ran towards the exit of the digital carnival.

"We're leaving already? Is something amiss?"

"YEAH, I'LL EXPLAIN IT TO YOU ONCE WE GET BACK TO OUR ROOM!" Together they ran, holding hands just like the day when Zooble tackled him to the ground. A knife flew past his arm, luckily not hitting him anywhere. Pomni saw the knife.

"WHAT THE-"

"COME ON, WE NEED TO HURRY!"

"JAX WHAT'S GOING ON?!"

"I'M NOT REALLY SURE, WE JUST HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE-" He got interrupted by another knife, flying directly in between Jax and Pomni. "HOW DO YOU HAVE SO MANY KNIVES?!" he shouted to the killer.

The masked person followed after them for a long while in close pursuit, when they ran out of breath and had to stop. Pomni and Jax kept running until they reached the inside the circus. They passed by Kinger, who asked why they were running.

"Has someone gone insane?!" Kinger yelled in fear.

"I think so." The chess piece then began to scream and hide inside his pillow fort. There was no time to wait however. They walked at a brisk pace all the way back to their shared room. When the door closed behind them, they finally knew they were safe. They both heaved a sigh of relief, panting from their exhausting run.

"You owe me an explanation."

"So, this morning someone tried to throw a knife at me (I've learned from today's experiences that their aim is shit) and then when I was retrieving our cotton candy they pulled me in between two of the rides and held a knife against my throat. That's basically the gist of it."

"Holy ^&!$, there's an assassin in the circus?!"

"I guess so... that means we should probably keep our eyes peeled because we know for sure they want me dead, but I'm not sure about you..." Pomni shuddered and shut her eyes tight, with tears threatening to come out.

"Hey, hey, PomPom, as long as we have each other we'll be ok, alright?" He lightly rubbed her back, trying his best to comfort the disturbed jester.

"I don't know what I'd do without you Jax..."

He laughed affectionately. "Sorry this date got ruined... hopefully our next one will be better..."

"At least you still want to have a next one~"

"Of course I do~" Pomni rested her head against Jax's shoulder, and the rabbit rested his head on top of her head.