Chapter 1

His eyes barely opened as he forced himself to wake up. Jake Riley quietly shuffled along the stiff bunk, stretching his weary limbs, trying not to wake the others in the room next to him, before planting his feet on the cold concrete. He slowly cracked his neck before checking the time on his watch bedside his bunk: 0330.

After rubbing his still tired eyes, Jake hoisted himself up and checked the Muscle Car Calendar on the other side of his dorm, looking for the current date and his shift time, for each day at Camp Lemonnier was a different day than before.

'March 25, 2020... B Shift 0800-1600... Somali Ethiopian Peace Treaty... High Risk Conflict'

One more week till I go home, Jake thought as he rubbed his face, feeling the stubble that he had to shave before beginning his morning routine. Let's just hope this day goes smoothly.

After shaving his slightly sunburnt face, he slipped on his Navy issued exercising garments and went outside, jogging around the base and breathing in the cool air as he conditioned himself.

After exercising, Jake cooled off in the showers before heading back to his dorm to finish his morning routine. He knelt down at his bunk and pulled out a black leather case from underneath, which contained his government issued M-4 rifle that he carried with him throughout the day. He then proceeded to take his rifle apart and clean it, readying it before locking it back in its case once again.

Jake finally suited up in his Naval uniform, strapped on his ballistic vest, and slipped his cap over his short brown hair. Once ready, he picked up his rifle case and headed to the mess hall to munch on his usual gourmet delicacy: bacon, eggs, toast, and fresh black coffee, silt and all. He couldn't sit and revel in his morning meal for too long; his shift would soon begin.

The blazing mid day sun came quick in Djibouti. The city was crowding with the locals awaiting the Ethiopian Prime Minister with protest. Jake Riley stood guard at the gates of the base with his commanding officer and eight other Navy Master-at-Arms.

"The locals don't seem to pleased with this dispute," the officer told Jake. "Be prepared to detain anyone that tries to cross our borders."

"Yes, Lieutenant," Jake responded.

As the sailors awaited the Prime Minister's arrival, Jake overheard the Armed Forces Network channel playing on a nearby radio that another sailor was listening to while standing guard:

"...And was awarded the Bronze Star. Congrats to the Gunnery Sergeant for his service. And now back to Camp Lemonnier, where we are currently live awaiting the arrival of Prime Minister Malatu Teshome of Ethiopia and Prime Minister Hassan Ali Khayre of Somalia. They will be discussing a means to end the Somali Ethiopian Conflict, which has been ongoing since 2018. President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Djibouti Prime Minister Abdoulkader Kamil Mohamed will be overseeing the truce, along with other UN delegates representing the countries of Eritrea, Kenya, Sudan, and South Sudan. Needless to say, many of the locals do not approve of Ethiopia and Somalia's conflict being brought in their country. However, some are aware that the conflict will be settled on U.S. territory right here on Camp Lemonnier."

As Jake continued to listen to the radio, the crowd grew more frantic and furious, nearly deafening his ears. Jake gazed into the distance to see a line of government vehicles driving towards the camp entrance. As the leading S.U.V. slowed down to a rolling stop in front of the base, Jake and the other Navy Master-at-Arms stood on guard.

"Look alive, men," the lieutenant ordered as he and another sailor approached the vehicle.

Jake saw the rear passenger window roll down as the lieutenant welcomed Malatu Teshome to Camp Lemonnier. Before motioning the driver to proceed, the lieutenant privately and briefly spoke to the prime minister, then took a good at all the vehicles escorting him. He then stepped back towards Jake.