Chapter 136

The murmurs outside the carriage became audible, prompting Ming Yu to open the curtain and inquire. A retinue responded that the eldest son of the Ma family had come.

Expecting that Ma Jinyu had some matters to discuss, Ming Yu gave the order for him to come inside.

Soon, Ma Jinyu boarded the carriage. Seeing Ming Yu and Xie Yixiu present, he was unfazed, accustomed to the companionship of the two. Over time, as they spent a lot of time together, their relationship had grown quite amicable.

Ma Jinyu sometimes found it peculiar how a prince from the central lands and a border general had become so close. Judging by their relationship, it seemed extraordinary.

However, he had heard rumors that General Xie had risked his life to save the prince during a border campaign. This explained the unusual bond between them. A prince treating a general differently after such a life-saving favor was quite normal, indicating the prince's genuine and grateful nature.

Therefore, Ma Jinyu didn't find it surprising. He promptly bowed to both, "Greetings, Your Highness, General Xie."

Fortunately, Ming Yu's carriage was spacious enough to accommodate four or five people comfortably, so Ma Jinyu's presence didn't make it crowded.

Ming Yu gestured for him to sit and speak.

Ma Jinyu sat obediently. The prince was easy to talk to, and Ma Jinyu, in Ming Yu's presence, felt respectful but not fearful. However, he couldn't help shivering when he glanced at the cold and stern General Xie beside him.

Perhaps due to his own sensitivity or General Xie's perennial battlefield experiences exuding a strong aura, Ma Jinyu dared not look at him for too long. He couldn't fathom how Prince Duan, who was always warm with Rong Yue, could have such a silent and frosty figure like General Xie by his side. Yet, the two seemed to get along perfectly, without any sense of discord.

"Speak up. What brings you here?" Ming Yu asked.

The Ma family father and son were astute individuals who usually wouldn't approach Ming Yu without reason. Although their merchant caravan followed Ming Yu's convoy, they maintained a certain distance. Ma Jinyu had come to discuss something important.

Under the scrutinizing gaze of General Xie, Ma Jinyu felt uncomfortable all over. He awkwardly shifted in his seat and breathed a sigh of relief only when General Xie shifted his gaze away.

Now reminded of his purpose, Ma Jinyu spoke respectfully, "Your Highness, it's like this. As soon as we entered Liangzhou territory, the merchant caravan behind us... um, it's a bit complicated."

Ming Yu and Xie Yixiu exchanged a glance, surprised that Ma Jinyu had come to report this matter immediately after they discussed it.

"A bit complicated?" While they knew the general situation, the details remained unclear to them. Ming Yu was curious to learn more about the complexity of the situation.

After all, even though those merchants followed Prince Duan's convoy westward, there were ultimately two separate groups. They didn't pry into each other's affairs, and the merchants, being shrewd individuals, were cautious and guarded against each other.

However, as the Ma family was also in the merchant business and was considered part of their own group, they were often informed about various matters. Ming Yu had gained quite a bit of information from the Ma family.

It's impossible to disclose all the details of the complicated situation to Ming Yu in a straightforward manner. Ma Jinyu could only nod dryly and cautiously say, "Well, Your Highness is aware. Everyone, having never been to Liangzhou, is somewhat disappointed by the scenes witnessed on the journey."