Chapter 4

Since Ji You's team had encountered the fourteenth prince, it was only natural for them to escort him. Ming Yu did not refuse this time. He was not an inflexible person. His previous refusal of local military escort was due to underestimating the situation. Witnessing the scene in the village made him realize his naivety. Now, he understood the situation here, and he knew that once they returned, this incident would spread among the guards. It might cause anxiety among them. If the renowned Red Robe Army could stabilize their morale, he wouldn't have to worry about it. Why not take advantage of the situation?

Mo Jiang's mind finally settled. Initially, he feared that His Highness wouldn't agree and had prepared a series of arguments to persuade him. Unexpectedly, His Highness readily accepted, which was beyond Mo Jiang's expectations.

After instructing the handling of matters in the village, Mo Jiang escorted Ming Yu back. It was already late, and they couldn't camp in the village. They had to camp on the spot and set out again at dawn.

As Ming Yu predicted, when they returned, the village had been raided by the barbarians. The news might have already spread, and those who could serve as guards had relatively good family backgrounds. Having lived peaceful lives in the capital, they had never experienced such situations. The entire group was in a state of panic.

Li Man, upon hearing the news, wore a worried expression. He sighed, "These barbarians are ruthless killers. If we encounter them, this... this..."

On the other hand, Zhou Dadan was eager to encounter the barbarians. He excitedly rolled up his sleeves and said, "Why fear them? I heard there are only a hundred of them. If we encounter them, we can kill one by one, cut them down in pairs. In short, let's just get it done."

Li Man was speechless, glanced at him, and shook his head. He didn't want to argue with this bold and reckless guy.

"Zhou Dadan, we don't want to risk our lives like you."

This statement eased the tension a bit. Another person said, "Brother Li, with so many of us, there's no need to fear those barbarians. Besides, we haven't seen any trace of them since entering Liangzhou territory."

"Don't be careless. Since the barbarians have slaughtered the nearby villages, they might not be far away."

"Alas! How did we end up with such bad luck?"

"Alright, stop talking. It seems His Highness and the others are back." Someone reminded.

Seeing the entire guard team in low spirits, Ming Yu already guessed what had happened. He shook his head. Compared to the Red Robe Army, these guards were simply not up to standard. The difference was like night and day.

Ming Yu squinted his eyes and, after settling down, thought it was time to train and organize this group properly. Otherwise, he wouldn't dare to use them.

He turned to Mo Jiang, "Go and inform the Red Robe Army that they are now part of the escort. Tell the soldiers to focus on their duties, or I won't be lenient."

The last sentence carried a slightly cold tone. Ming Yu had presented himself as an amiable person since leaving the capital, but if someone crossed the line, he didn't mind showing the rumored arrogant side.

Mo Jiang understood the underlying meaning of Ming Yu's words. His face showed a bit of embarrassment. He was well aware of the conditions of these Imperial Guards who had come from the capital. They had some grievances against His Highness. He had never exposed these matters, but little did he know that Ming Yu had seen through it. Mo Jiang respectfully accepted the order and withdrew. The fourteenth prince was becoming increasingly unpredictable. It was better not to touch his sore spots.