Chapter 43

As for the discussions outside, Ming Yu paid no attention. At this moment, he was bent over his desk, occasionally furrowing his brows and tilting his head in thought before continuing to write.

At this time, a servant approached cautiously, fearing to disturb Ming Yu's contemplation. "Your Highness, Lord Xu is here."

Ming Yu didn't lift his head. "Let him in. I've already said it; there's no need for announcements. He can come in directly."

Before the words were finished, Xu Wen had already entered and saluted Ming Yu.

Ming Yu waved his hand, still fully focused on the matters at hand. "Is everything prepared?"

Xu Wen nodded. "Most of it is ready. I've brought it with me." He then presented a booklet with both hands.

Ming Yu looked up, gesturing for him to place it on the table. "You've been organizing these things for the past few days. You should be quite familiar with them. Go ahead and tell me."

"Yes!" Xu Wen organized his thoughts and summarized, "This group of bandits, led by Song Qingfu, has taken root near the northern Huan Yan Mountain in Liangzhou. Song Qingfu was a nobody two years ago, but later, for some unknown reason, the previous leader discovered him and began promoting him, elevating him to the position of second-in-command. Although many initially resisted, he managed to accomplish several impressive feats, gradually gaining support. A year ago, the original leader passed away, and Song Qingfu directly took over as the head."

"Died?" Ming Yu put down his pen, pondered for a moment, and asked, "Suddenly died for no reason? Did you investigate the former leader's death?"

Xu Wen nodded. He was meticulous in his work; it was impossible not to investigate. "I've checked. Two years ago, the former leader engaged in a life-and-death struggle with other forces over territory. Although he defeated the enemy, he didn't fare well himself and suffered severe injuries. It was around that time that Song Qingfu emerged, catching the attention of the former leader."

Xu Wen paused, and seeing Ming Yu paying serious attention, he continued, "Due to those injuries, the former leader, unfortunately, succumbed to illness less than a year later."

At this point, he seemed to realize something, looking shocked. "Your Highness, are you implying that there's something fishy about this? His death... Why didn't I think of it?"

Ming Yu felt a bit embarrassed. He hadn't thought about it so deeply, let alone mentioned it. Young people's imaginations could be a bit too much sometimes. However, looking at it from his past experiences, um! Judging by the standards of melodramatic TV dramas, there might indeed be a problem here.

Ming Yu nodded without expressing much and heard Xu Wen excitedly say, "Let me investigate along this line. Maybe we can discover something useful."

Ming Yu didn't want to dampen his enthusiasm. He made a non-committal sound before asking again, "How is the internal structure of the bandits now? What kind of person is Song Qingfu? Can he truly command the respect of his followers?"

"Song Qingfu is a beggar by birth, illiterate, and he has a cunning, ruthless style. He is heartless and doesn't tolerate dissent. In the past two years, he constantly eliminated opposition within his ranks, using various methods to silence dissenting voices. Now, it's almost a one-man show under Song Qingfu. Anyone who opposes him disappears soon. Most of the remaining members are obedient, with the idea that those who follow will prosper and those who resist will perish. However, he has indeed achieved quite a bit in the past two years, providing a good life for his subordinates. Opponents have been silenced, and almost everyone admires him."