Chapter 105

Ming Yu finally shifted his focus to the archery game in front of him. The person in charge approached and handed each of them eight arrows according to the rules. Ming Yu inspected the arrows in his hand; they were similar to regular arrows, just without the iron arrowheads.

To ensure that Ming Yu and the others understood the rules, the person in charge briefly explained them before bowing and stepping back, giving way to the two participants.

Ming Yu observed the archery target a few meters away. The pot had a small opening and a wide belly, with a narrow neck. Inside, there were small red beans or similar items to prevent the arrows from bouncing out.

After scrutinizing the setup, Ming Yu realized it was indeed challenging. He stole a glance at Xie Yixiu, but the latter seemed unfazed. Well, whatever, even if he couldn't land a single arrow inside, it wouldn't be a big deal.

With this thought in mind, he calmed down. Closing his eyes, he prepared to blindly release an arrow. After all, his skill level was the same whether his eyes were open or closed.

A dry and warm hand grasped his hand back. Ming Yu was momentarily stunned. Tilting his head slightly, he met the familiar half-profile of Xie Yixiu. Xie Yixiu was standing close, his hand covering Ming Yu's hand.

"This is not how you shoot. Let me help you," Xie Yixiu's low and slightly husky voice echoed in Ming Yu's ear, and it seemed like he could feel the warmth entering his ear.

Ming Yu's heart raced, and his face turned red. Why was he reacting like this? Ming Yu's other hand tugged at the collar of his clothes. Well, the sunlight was bright today, and his outfit felt a bit too heavy.

Xie Yixiu had already drawn an arc with Ming Yu's hand, and the arrow flew out of his hand. The whole place fell silent for a moment before a burst of enthusiastic cheers erupted.

Ming Yu looked over, puzzled. Only then did he notice that there was an arrow inserted in the smallest opening of the archery target, trembling slightly, with the tail feathers still quivering.

"Did I hit the target?" Ming Yu was confused. He was preoccupied with other thoughts, and he didn't pay attention to how he shot the arrow.

Xie Yixiu released Ming Yu's hand, gently forming a fist and squeezing it, his face showing a rare softness. He nodded, "Hmm."

Only then did Ming Yu realize what happened and became excited. "Great! Let's continue, sweep the whole field!" He made a lively vow.

Before, he had no idea that General Xie was such a pro. Clearly, he claimed not to know how, but when he made a move, it was extraordinary. Judging by the reactions of the people around, it was evident.

The exclamations and cheers reached the ears of others nearby, drawing their attention. Whether they were poets drinking wine, dancers, or musicians, they all left their activities and gathered around to see what was happening.

The ongoing dispute between Li Tonghe and Shangguan Ling also ceased as they pushed through the crowd to watch. Shangguan Ling stared at the arrow stuck in the archery target, almost unable to believe her eyes. "Is this true? Did Prince Duan really shoot that just now?"

Someone nearby, having finally recovered, answered, "It's true. It was General Xie who personally guided Prince Duan to shoot it."

This was simply unbelievable. Even the best archer in the capital, Third Prince, had never hit the middle target! No wonder everyone was exclaiming and cheering.

Ming Yu looked at Xie Yixiu with a smile, teasing, "I didn't expect you to be a master. When did you secretly practice this?"

"I've never practiced this before; this is my first time playing archery." Xie Yixiu explained.