two

𝖑𝖎𝖑𝖞

Senator Grayson starts to choke while his blood squirts all over my body. I shove his heavy body off of me and jump off the bed.

Rushing through the suite is none other than my big brother, Cassius. His gun is drawn and the same for the man trailing behind him. Killian Shadows. My brother's best friend and right-hand man. They are partners and have never done an assignment without each other.

Killian is the first to fire. His silencer is on so the sound from his gun isn't loud, but I still flinched when the bullet hit Senator Grayson. I pull out my phone from my garter and take a photo of my target facedown with his bare ass out for confirmation. I even turned him over and photographed the bullet hole in his head and the stab wound in his neck so that there is doubt that I completed this assignment.

"I had it handled," I say to Cass and Killian as I put my phone back into my garter. "I don't want the Gods to think I'm not competent enough to do this on my own." This was my first solo assignment and I didn't want to fuck it up.

My brother scoffs. "Barely. The sick fuck could've raped you, Lily."

"How?" I shout. "He was handcuffed. Nothing was going to happen to me and I killed him so who cares?"

"I do," he says sternly, stepping up to me. "I'm your brother and I want to protect—"

"I don't need that from you," I growl. "I am perfectly capable of handling these assignments on my own."

I storm into the en suite bathroom, pissed that my brother brought along his friend because he doesn't believe in me enough to handle shit on my own. I grabbed a towel from the rack and began to wipe the blood off my face. When I storm back into the suite, I chuck the bloodied towel at Killian. He's not really the one that I'm mad at but he did have the final shot that killed Senator Grayson.

"Don't fucking step in ever again," I warn Cassius. "Plus, how did you two idiots know what was going on?"

"We got word that you were doing a solo assignment," Killian finally speaks. "We had cameras installed in this room before you got here."

I scoff. "I can't believe this."

I go over to Grayson's dead body and bend down, ripping out the knife from his neck. When I turned back around, I saw my brother grimace while Killian looked at me with a straight and stone-cold look.

Probably wasn't the best decision to bend over in front of my brother in this outfit, but I'm too angry to think. Plus, I wouldn't mind if Killian checked out my ass.

Growing up, I had the biggest crush on my brother's best friend. We grew up with the Shadows so I saw Killian everywhere. I'm even best friends with his sister, Faye. There was no escaping him and there's no escaping my crush. I've grown out of that crush, but I won't deny that he's the most beautiful looking man.

He stands a good three inches taller than my brother at 6'4. His skin is tanned like he spent his summer tanning on his yacht in Italy. Black hair that has hints of golden brown in the light and green eyes that shift to yellow on occasion. Over the years, he's gotten tattoos and I can see them running up his arms, the rest hidden under the sleeve of his black t-shirt. Don't even get me started on his arms. I could write a book and how beautiful they look. I want those ginormous biceps to wrap around my—

"Are you even listening to me", my brother snaps.

I shake my head, diverting my gaze from Killian. "No, sorry."

"I said we need to get you home and cleaned up. The clean-up crew is coming and I don't need them seeing you dressed like that."

"What's wrong with how I look?"

"You look like a cheap hooker."

I feign a gasp. "Would you pay a pretty penny for me, Killian?" I ask, batting my lashes playfully.

He tilts his head to the side and examines me. My breathing slightly hitches. Killian Shadows has never looked at me before. Yeah, he's seen me. But he's never looked. Not like how he is now.

"I wouldn't pay more than a hundred bucks," he replies.

My heart sinks a little and my brother snickers.

Walking out of the hotel room with my head hanging low, I follow my brother and his best friend to their car. No one bats an eye that I'm covered in blood. I probably look like I'm cosplaying as a vampire or something.

The ride home is quiet, but hey, I completed the assignment and I'm ready to be initiated.