The Moment of Truth Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Had any luck?" 

"I'm not sure yet."

The next morning Arthur pretended to eat the breakfast in front of my mother, but we all knew he hated it because it wasn't his fine dining. Gwen finished it but was angry with the prince. Arthur gathered the men and began training them. 

"You should talk to Arthur, Alex," Gwen said.

"And say what you should be more appreciative of what he has because people like us would be grateful for the fraction of what he has," I grumbled.

Morgana giggled before saying, "You taught him a lesson before another won't hurt." I ran my fingers through my hair. Confronting Arthur would not be fun especially since I wanted to adjust his poorly going training. I relaxed before we all laughed at the memory of Arthur being humbled. It's the story of how all three of us became friends.

"Does anyone want to be a  watcher?" Arthur asked. Matthew raised his hand. The prince explained the duty to Matthew before sending him on a horse to the edge of the glade. 

"Arthur, we need to talk." He nodded and we left the group of men. "You and I know we need a strategy to limit the men that enter with Kanen and the women need to fight."

He sighed, "Alexandra, the women could get hurt. It's the men's duty."

I became flustered quickly, "No! Arthur, it's every villager's duty to survive." I stormed off into the hut where I knew my mother would be. 

Another day passed, and a woman's screech could be heard from outside. Everyone darted outside towards the sound. Matthew was dead on top of his horse. Two villagers lifted him down and I began to examine him. Everyone else stood back a bit frightened by the death. I motioned for Arthur to come over. I pulled the arrow from his back and handed the note attached to Arthur. I rolled Matthew over to his front and used my fingers to close his eyes. When I glanced up, some of the villagers had tears including my mother. I held my arms open to my mother who began to weep. Matthew was the only other man she ever loved. 

"What does it say?" Merlin asked.

"Note today for it will be your last," Arthur read. William parted his way through the crowd blaming Arthur for Matthew's death. He claimed we were all doomed.

"Enough Will!" I gritted my teeth. I stood up next to Arthur trying to get away from the body. 

"Of course, you would side with the prince. None of this was ever good enough for you," William taunted. I pushed back the tears threatening to spill. William told me he liked me when I left. He hoped that would make me stay, but I couldn't. I missed this village and the people. Trust me if I didn't have to chase after sorcerors and misunderstood people who wanted Arthur dead, I would be back here with my mother in an instant.

"You can fight for what you believe or you can leave William. Just don't drag us down with you." He huffed before he disappeared back into the crowd. I glanced at Arthur whose eyes met mine. Although the colors were different, they both were glossy.

Later that night, the village held another meeting. We came up with a plan to slow Kanen's men the night before. Tonight was Arthur's prep talk. We were gathered around the fire. I observed the faces of my friends and neighbors. I could tell this helped that they felt useful, inspired even. Arthur met my gaze, and I couldn't help but smile. He may be a prat, but he had his good moments. In my heart, I knew he was trying to do the right thing. He even agreed that the women could fight tomorrow. The meeting ended with cheers of Ealdor. I pulled Merlin to the side making sure no one was around. 

"Whatever you do, don't use magic tomorrow that will be obvious."

"I won't."

"Our home will be alright," I said taking his hand.