My chest warmed, and I flipped my hand over to squeeze his in return. I know how much he enjoys reassuring touches and giving them, his love language loud and clear. So, I conveyed to him an acceptance with a simple squeeze of my fingers.

"Okay." I nodded.

He beamed, kissing my knuckles before letting go. "Now, being luna means you get to manage stock and job roles, but also help with wages."

My eyes lit up, no longer worried about the luna roles. "Wages you say?"

He chuckled. "I thought you would like that one."

"Can we get started on that one now?"

"We can take notes..." He grunted. "You will need to be updated with our finances before you make any decisions."

I frowned, but otherwise nodded. He was right, of course. I couldn't jump the gun when I didn't know how much things cost and how much the pack brought in. However, having the go ahead was a start.

Perhaps being a luna wouldn't be so bad if I could make things easier for the people that lived and worked here.

"Is that everything?" I wondered.

"For now." He nodded. "I believe you need to have a word with a certain someone."

"I do?"

A light knock came to the door that startled me, a frown pulling at my mouth. Asra gestured for me to open it, and with sudden nerves, I rose from my chair. He seemed calm about it, a small smile teasing his lips. Pulling open the heavy door, I was face to face with none other than Piper.

"Hey..." I breathed.

"I came to say goodbye."

My eyes widened as tears immediately threatened to spill. "Already?"

"It's afternoon." She shrugged, laughing sadly. "My car is arriving for three."

With wide eyes, I desperately searched for a clock.

I had half an hour.

My lower lip wobbled as I pulled Piper into my arms. "You're not allowed to go, remember?"

A lone tear dripped down her cheek. "I told you I would visit and we can always call each other."

"Who am I supposed to have breakfast with now?"

"Well, Asra seems to take good care of you." She waved his direction with a smirk.

I laughed, blinking through the emotions. "Well, let's go have one more coffee on the porch before you go, okay?"

Smiling up at me, Piper nodded. "Let's do it."

***

A few days later, I found myself back in Asra's office. I was in the middle of making lunch when he barged in and claimed he had to speak with me. It didn't impress me, and I had half a mind to make him sleep on the floor tonight. Wehad been to the doctors and requested my birthing pills. They were not suppliedhere and had to be ordered in, but even so, I couldn't start them for another tendays.

Damn wolves.

I had thrown myself back into work after Piper left, unable to find anything else to keep me occupied. She had become another part of me in the couple of months since being here, but we had extended her stay too much. They expected her to find a mate so her father could retire, and without one, the title would have to go to someone else.

Piper didn't want that for her pack.

So now she was hours away in another pack. Without me.

Dramatic, I know.

I finally had a best friend, and she was leaving me.

I made sure to take in her every feature before she left so I could note them in my mind. Our hug lasted too short, our tears pooled and saturated too many tissues. It was a heartfelt goodbye. The time we spent together had been surprisingly wonderful, considering her original purpose here.

"Sorry again." Asra interrupted my thoughts. "But I figured you needed to know about this as soon as I did."

"It better be important." I sighed, his office door closing behind us. "I'm in charge today."

"Oh, it is." He smirked.

I eyed him curiously, a million thoughts running through my head. It had only been three days since we mated. What could've possibly gone wrong in that time?

"We have been invited to an evening with the head alpha." He explained, sliding me a soft paper envelope.

The head alpha? Continental alpha number one?

I opened the envelope, running my finger along the wolf wax emblem. Inside was a simple white piece of thick paper, neatly folded three times. I unwrapped it, curiosity burning me.

Dear Alpha Asra Zenith of Cardinal Pack.

I cordially invite you to a grand celebration of life; the birth of my second child!

13th July 6pm in the Grand Hall.

We welcome you and your help for a one-night stay in our own home.

Yours Sincerely,

Alpha and Luna Augustus Black

P.S. Congratulations on your mate-ship. I look forward to meeting your new luna.

The rest of the page was full of intelligent penmanship, detailing the address and formal attire. I swallowed thickly, looking up at Asra with a sudden sense of dread.

"We have to go?"

"Of course." He nodded. "It will be disrespectful if we don't."

"Can't we just say I am sick?"

"They will expect me to give you my blood, like a fit mate." He mused. "Do you now want to go? I thought you liked parties?"

"Ones I control." I frowned. "They have paraded me as jewellery more times than I care to admit."

He grumbled softly, taking the invite from my hand. "You are not a trophy, Ailia. You are my equal, my mate. Nobody will think lowly of you."

"But I am human."

"So?" He grimaced. "You think they will get their opinion past me?"

I couldn't help but smile as he puffed out his chest to appear larger, the male never failing to amuse me.

"Okay, big guy, I get it." I smiled softly. "So... three weeks' time, hey? Better get me a dress."

He grinned. "Glad you came round to it. Take Eve with you. I fear for Mya's opinion of you in a dress."

"Scared she may steal me?" I teased.

He narrowed his eyes. "I wouldn't put it past her."

Laughing, I shook my head at him. "I am a mated female now. I will have you know."

He grinned slyly. "Oh, yeah?"

"Yep." I smirked.

"How can I be so sure? You don't smell like one."

I cocked my head. "I don't?"

"No, you smell very... bare. Perhaps you just need some help to boost your smell."

I squirmed in my seat. "Help? What kind of help?"

"Why don't you take off your dress and find out?"

*********

Welcome back!!!!

I hope you enjoy book 2 as much as book 1!!!