fifty four

The next hour passed by rather quickly, the two of us filled with idle chitchat as we discussed pack matters. We had to hide some words, referring to the wolf things with more mundane descriptions. For example, the 'pack house' was just a house, and 'patrol wolf' was now 'brother'.

Apparently, most of the patrons in here may not take it nicely that some wolves were disturbing their peace. Thankfully, Mya had not spilled her secret to any of them, but it made me wonder if Mel knew what she truly was.

"So, you sleeping with her?" I blurted, just after Mel left me a fresh drink.

Taking a sip, I grinned when I found this one tasted like peaches.

"I may have slept with her a couple of times." Mya admitted, sipping from a pint glass.

"No way! You horny dog." I giggled.

"How much of a lightweight are you?" Mya mused.

"I'm fine. I've only had four." I rolled my eyes. "Just happily buzzed."

"Good, then you can come with me."

Mya jumped down from the bar stool and I eagerly followed, securing my fingers around the stem of my cocktail glass. She gestured for me to follow her and I stumbled a little before gaining my ground and keeping track of her. We came to a booth, where she stopped and leaned against the leather seat.

"...And this is my friend Leia." Mya's hand rested on my shoulder as I came to a stop beside her.

Swallowing down the latest sip of my drink, I waved a hello. There were two men and three girls at this table, all obviously human. They eyed me with suspicion, but I was sure I could win them over with my smile alone.

"Have a seat!" One girl chirped. "I'm Frankie. This is Emily and Kira."

Frankie had short dark hair, Emily was blonde, and Kira was brunette. I greeted them politely before turning to the two males. One was slender, introducing himself as Dean, and the other was broader, with dark skin similar to Mya, his lips pursed with thought.

"I feel like I have seen you before." He murmured.

My eyes widened as I slid into the seat opposite him and next to Mya. "Really?"

"Yes." He hummed. "I'm Jo."

"Leia." I nodded in greeting.

His lips pursed, and I squirmed slightly beneath his gaze. Mya thankfully came to my rescue, her laughter bellowing loudly and catching his attention.

"Leia is an alcohol virgin. We are here to make her let loose!"

I rolled my eyes in a scoff. "For the millionth time, I am not a virgin!"

The table erupted with laughter and I flushed with the realisation of what I just complained out loud. Even Jo's lips curled with amusement, the man leaning back in his seat. I relaxed ever so slightly, picking up my drink to ease the tension.

"How do you know these people?" I asked Mya.

"They're regulars." Mya shrugged. "Sometimes we hang out."

I nodded absentmindedly, my guard still up a little as I noticed Jo's eyes flicker to me often. I couldn't speak it out loud, fearful they may hear me, and I didn't have the mind-link ability with Mya like I did with Asra.

So, for now, I would just have to force more of these glittering drinks down my throat and hope for the best.

*** '

My head had a gentle buzz, my vision blurring slightly if I turned too much. Mya was perfectly fine. Apparently, the human alcohol was being churned up in her stomach faster than a cheetah.