sixty three

I must be dreaming.

I knew I didn't belong here. My body felt foreign, like my limbs were extra heavy considering I had shrunk about two feet in height.

My strange body climbed out of the lake, the marring of a frown on my face as I approached my little sister. Her round face was flush with colour, frustration clear in the pout of her lips. Her arms were crossed, and I'd say she even stomped her foot.

The man, who I assumed was my father, wrapped a towelled robe around me, tying it at the front. I huffed, telling him I could do it. He stepped back, raising his arms in defence as I defiantly knotted the robe myself. He then took us both by the hand, his face still a blur, as he led us through the treeline.

"I will get it right next time!" I pouted.

"I'm sure you will." The man chuckled. "You are stronger than you think!"

"One day, I will be the bestest swimmer in the whole wide world."

"Bestest isn't a word," Arabella taunted.

I rolled my eyes at my younger sister. "Whatever, at least I can read!"

"I can read!"

"What, an entire book?" I scoffed. "I can write an entire book!"

"Hey, enough both of you. Let's just get home in one piece, yeah?"

I grumbled. "Whatever."

"Hey, enough sass." The man nudged me playfully. "Save that for me."

I giggled as his fingers ghosted my ribcage. Only for Arabella to pipe up she was missing out.

I forgot how annoying young Arabella was.

Looking around the forest, I found myself vaguely familiar with the surroundings. Although the trees were different to Evermore, somehow I knew where I was going. The grand oak and chestnut trees in Evermore were dull compared to these magnificent orange-red maples. Their leaves were luminous against the dulling sky, the air crisp and warm as we walked home.

I didn't have a moment to quell on how I knew the land before a grand house entered my eyeline. It was cute, the orange outer bricks blending with the autumn season. The man opened the door, and the crisp smell of bread washed over me.

"Oh, you're back."

I spun to the voice, my eyes widening at the gentle tone. My mother approached from around the kitchen table, wiping her hands on a tea towel. She locked her eyes on my father, a smile on her face as she embraced him. He patted her back, muttering a hello. I watched from beside them, my eyes wide as I took in my mother's features.

She looked completely different. Is this what she looked like before his death? Is this the mother I had growing up? One with freshly washed hair, makeup, and flowery perfume. One who wore dresses and baked bread in the day to pass the time.

The man I assumed was my father, released her to be remove his coat and boots, but I remained where I was. Her brown eyes landed on me, and that broad grin dropped into a frown.

"Take off your dirty shoes, child." She tutted.

I hesitated, blinking up at her before complying when her gaze narrowed. Something felt off. Something about her didn't feel right, and I wasn't sure what it was. Once my coat and shoes were gone, she snapped at me to help Arabella. I was quick to drop to my knees and unlace my sister's boots before aiding her with her coat zipper.

Putting everything away neatly, I spun around to face the two adults. Father had moved to the kitchen, making himself a warm cup of tea. Mother was still staring, her eyes locked onto me, her hands laced in the middle. I was frozen in my spot, waiting for my next command.