sixty eight

My dream had taken me on a journey again.

I was in the woods of Evermore.

I had just been for a run. The sharpness of my breath and sweat on my brow was answer enough. I wasn't sure why I was in the woods, just that I had to be here doing... whatever this was.

Staring down at the old, beige pages of my grandmother's book, I scanned the text across the pages. The words blurred in my haze, my mind unable to make sense of what I read. My finger ran across the sharp page, my lips mumbling words I couldn't hear.

It frustrated me. Why couldn't I make out the pages of the book?

This was definitely a dream, otherwise how would I teleport to Evermore?

My skin prickled with awareness, just as a chilly breeze ran through the trees. I looked up, watching the branches dance together, small pieces of debris floating to the ground. The goosebumps didn't waver, and a crunching of footsteps sounded behind me.

"Ailia?"

My back relaxed as Jeremy's voice floated through my ears. I turned to face him, a broad grin lifting my cheeks.

"You beat me here." He raised an eyebrow. "I'm impressed."

I had raced him, of course. That's why I was here. The dull reminder of his challenge in the back of my mind. Dreams were confusing.

Jeremy always wore a hat, his face always in shadows. His dark skin was visible today, his legs exposed to the elements.

"You're wearing shorts? It's freezing!" I commented, gesturing to the cold December weather.

He chuckled, shrugging. "I run warm."

I tutted at him, turning back to the book. "Weirdo."

"You're the weirdo reading that old book of nonsense. None of it makes any sense!"

I frowned, closing the pages with a huff. "Are we doing this or what?"

"Be my guest," He grinned, his teeth flashing dangerously.

Jeremy widened his stance, bending at the knee and placing his hands in front of his torso. It confused me until my body moved and copied his actions.

"With pleasure," I hummed, before charging.

Before I could land the hit, I was tumbling to the floor. Mud and leaves stuck to my face, finding their way into my mouth. I gasped, pushing myself upright to rid myself of the foul, mouldy greenery. Looking around, I found I was no longer stood where I once was...

Where was I?

I swear I was just with...

Wait, where was I?

Shrugging, I forced myself upright and looked around. I glimpsed my mother's house in view and continued to walk toward it.

I had just been at work and went for a walk through the woods. I must've tripped over a tree root or something, weathered from the harsh winter. There was mud strewn across everywhere. Coming to a stop by the back door, I grimaced when I looked down at myself.

I hope she wasn't here to see me.

The door creaked softly, the old wood barely hanging onto its hinges. I felt a strange sense of longing, and of disgust as I stepped into the stingy cabin, my stomach sinking as I found the bedroom door open.

That meant she was home.

I held my breath as I tip-toed toward the bathroom. But she must've heard. Before I could even press my feet onto the tiled ground, her cranky voice had my spine curling with horror.