Episode 21 - Randash

While Everen went to visit his father, Amia, Kryal, Rogrin and Aleea went to unpack their belongings in their own accommodations. Lian took me to the sleeping quarters that stood just beyond the Great Hall. He pushed open a huge, dark wood door and led me into what could only be described as a paradise.

Carved stone pillars held up the grey tiled rooves of a peristylium that boxed in a square courtyard area holding flowering plants I had never seen before, vibrant reds and oranges, yellows and blues. Water fountains lined the central walkway, the columns of water arching through the air above a person's head. Leaping from the mouths of carved stone dragons, the water glowed orange, a simple and clever twist giving the impression that fire was flowing above you. The beauty and detail were breathtaking.

"This is another of Everen's gifts." Lian said, pride evident in his voice.

"He has powers over nature?" I asked. Lian chuckled deeply.

"He doesn't use magic like yours; he is just a very good Gardner and isn't afraid of a little sweat and dirt."

I smiled and reached out my hand, allowing my fingertips to gently drift over the luscious green leaves of the plants as we walked by. On touching the waxy surface, my spirits instantly lifted.

I could barely contain the pride I was feeling towards Everen for this truly beautiful creation.

"He wanted you to have his room so that you would have this garden for your own use.

"I'm staying in Everen's room?" I asked the question just as Lian pushed open a large door and ushered me through.

On entering through the thick oak door, carved with a wolf's profile, I took in the details of the richly coloured silk fabric coverings on the bed and draped them between the thick oak posts of the bed. In stark contrast to the room in King Finrick's castle, there was a sense of peace and happiness.

There was a roaring fire in a huge stone fireplace adorned with carved stone. I saw the amusement in Lian's face as I stood in the centre of the room, aghast and speechless.

"I know it's probably not something you are used to, but here in the castle, we are very lucky." His hand fell to my shoulder, and he patted it a few times. "If you need anything, just pull the cord next to the door, and the helper we have assigned to you will pop in. I would suggest you have a bath and a rest; there will be a meal tonight. When the fire in the hearth is burned to its embers, I will come back to collect you."

I nodded, lost for words, as my eyes took in the lavish surroundings. Lian chuckled as he left the room.

Alone in the room, I walked to the large bed at the far end, beside the huge, dominatingly carved stone hearth. A scene was etched into what looked like granite. Sand ilks seemed to float from the stone, the undulating single circular muscle that propelled them delicately carved in waves. I turned towards the burning logs and wondered how an end could also feel like a beginning. The bed was comfortable beneath me. I pulled my boots off and curled up, promising I would allow myself just a few moments of rest, snuggling into the place Everen would have wrested.

***

The knock was so loud on the bedroom door that it shook me from my nightmares. I had been back on the beach, running for my life, towards Serefin, but no matter how far I ran in her direction, I was not travelling any closer to her.

"Miss? Miss?" The knock now had a voice.

My eyes opened, and I noticed the slight tinge of darkness in the room. Then there was a sharp crackle of spitting embers, and my consciousness was brought back instantly to the unfamiliar room. The logs were burned half way down.