Chapter 9

I climb over a fallen tree and stand on top, searching for any kind of mushrooms or plants that could be edible. If I find any, I can show them to Cocoguy and he will say if they are edible or not.
A little and useful game.

Both Tío and Cocoguy were walking on the dirt road, I could see them through the foliage but I doubted that they could see me.
Every half an hour Tío would call out and I would come back.

From my ventage point on the tree I could see some mushroom but I knew those already. False Morels, not edible.

I jump down and look all around me but didn't see anything I recognised. I moved forward and keep my eyes on the ground as well as looking around.
Surprisingly most animals dissapeared.

I saw much more wildlife before the fog actually. Cocoguy says it's probably because their aggression, that they moved to 'more populated areas'. Like forts.

,,Xio!" Tíos voice rang out and I headed towards them. It didn't take me long as he wanted me to stay within earshot.

I came out of the woods and sprinted towards them, preparing my bag in the process.

,,There's a city not too far away from here." Cocoguy said as he grabbed the bag and started inspecting the mushrooms and greens.
Mostly dandelions.

,,So? Are we going to loot it?" I asked and looked at the sky. It was still afternoon but I doubt that we can loot today.
Before we get there we will need to set camp and then go check the town.

,,Yeah, I was thinking that we could go and see what was left. So Cooper wants to go closer and see it from afar then set camp and go there tommorow morning." Tío explained as he started walking again.

,,There's just one problem." Cocoguy said. ,,There's also a fort nearby if I remember correctly."

I never seen a fort.

He continued. ,,Which means that the city may be looted clean."

My bag was returned with a nod of approval and we followed the road until we saw a split.

Three new directions to choose from. Good thing that I wasn't holding the map.

,,Cold Lake was it?" Tío asked and walked to the middle of the road. ,,Straight ahead."

,,Where is the fort? In the city?" I asked and looked for any human activity.

,,No. Forts were built either around small towns or next to major city's or in parks. Nothing impressive really."

,,C'mon Cooper! It's impressive that they were build in half a day!" Tío grinned and jabbed him with his elbow.

,,A wall of steel plates welded together around a town. Yeah, impressive." He said with the most unimpressed face I ever seen him made.

,,Definitely more impressive than your chairs." I grinned.

He stopped and turned towards me. ,,What did you say?" His eyes burned with challenge.

He was in luck because I will give him a challenge.

I smiled at him. ,,You know, the chairs in the tree house? Those were your work right?" I dramatically massage my back. ,,Really bad quality I must say. The first time I sat down I thought that it was a rocking chair."

His eyebrows furrowed and his face almost got red. Tío cleared his throat.
,,Cooper." He pointed ahead ,,Let's go."

Cocoguy was not even looking, his eyes were solely on me and burning with murder.

,,Those chairs were high quality. I. Made. Them." He pointed at himself and turned around stomping away.

,,Wobbly and a lot of splinters." I grinned.