Chapter 14 - Two Peas in a Pod

(Note: Listen to the soundtrack "Rites of Passage" bt Scott Buckley as you read the next two chapters)

Supergirl dashed towards the main gate, she felt bad for leaving the others alone. Nonetheless, she had faith in Grant's capability to handle the situation. Bullets hit her, but she paid them no mind. Moving in a zigzag pattern, she incapacitated each soldier with precision, making sure they were only temporarily unconscious. Using her super breath, she knocked down those positioned at higher vantage points and used her heat vision to disable the tower guns. Time was of the essence, and she wasted none of it. Using her x-ray vision, she quickly identified the location of the hostages—an enclosed room in the left wing of the building, secured by fifteen armed men. With graceful finesse, she incapacitated the adversaries in her path, causing minimal damage to the valuable artwork displayed in the halls. The plan was proceeding smoothly.

"How's everything going, Kara?" Superman's voice came through the communication channel.

"I'm nearly at the location, Superman. Just a few more seconds and I'll have the situation under control," she responded. "And what about Equus?"

"He's proving to be quite resilient, but I'll handle him and his men. Keep me updated on your progress."

Amidst the screams and laser shots she heard in the background, she admired his ability to maintain composure in such an extreme situation.

When she arrived, she momentarily stepped back, taking a moment to assess the situation. She used her X-ray vision once more, confirming the presence of 15 armed men, with 5 of them inside the room where the hostages were held captive. Carefully counting 9 hostages in total, she knew that a direct approach risked alerting the armed men inside the room and endangering the lives of the government representatives. She devised a plan, realizing that it would take a bit more time to execute, but it would minimize casualties.

With precision and skill, she blasted her heat vision to gradually melt the receivers of the machine guns, making sure the heat remained undetectable by the armed men. Each gun was disabled in a careful and calculated manner, just like a surgical procedure. By the time she finished, all their weapons were useless, making possible for a stealthy and silent attack. Moving fast, she knocked out each soldier, leaving them unconscious. The final soldier attempted to fire at her, but the inoperative machine gun posed no threat. With a gentle fist bump, she knocked him down as well.

The most challenging part was coming to an end. Supergirl used her freeze breath to create a mist in the vicinity, making herself virtually invisible in the fog. She tapped on the door in a friendly manner, but received no response. She knocked once more, allowing a few seconds to pass, until two men emerged from the mist. The hostages watched with unease, silently observing the strange situation. Among the tension, a third soldier screamed and fired his weapon at the door in desperation. Still, there was no response.

The mist slowly entered the smaller room, obeying the laws of diffusion, as a light breeze went past the man positioned at the door. He turned around, only to be confronted by the presence of Supergirl. With lightning speed, she disarmed him before he could react. Her appearance was that of a dark angelic figure, dressed in black armor, radiating a beauty that commanded both respect and fear in the eyes of her adversaries. She advanced towards the remaining two soldiers, who discarded their guns and knelt before the awe-inspiring embodiment of justice.

She placed her palm on her left ear and spoke into her earpiece, connecting with Superman. "Superman, I've successfully secured the hostages. I'll arrange transportation and escort them to the rendezvous point. Are you safe?"

"Good to hear. I'm fine for now. It's just me and Equus left. I've neutralized his men, and here's the interesting part: they're all inferior versions of Equus. Individuals who subjected themselves to bizarre scientific alterations in pursuit of power and wealth."