twenty three - family vacation

Start from the beginning

He casually leads her round some stores; she reluctant let's him buy her a new purse and some sandals. She oogles some of the necklaces in the windows and soon she leads him into a jewellery store; this wasn't his plan but god, its perfect timing.

"Which is your favourite?" He asks as she looks at some of the rings.

"They're all beautiful." She hums as she looks at them all. "But waaaay too expensive."

He rests his hand on the small of her back. "To you, maybe. If you got married, what ring would you want?"

She quirks a brow. "Weird question." She hums but her hand glides across the glass to point to one opposite her. Its an oval, thin diamond on a gold band with a matching wedding band, V shaped to sit around the stone. "That. It's like what my mom had." She says quietly. "I always remembered that she had a similar ring on top, it was like a trio, and it was all our birthstones." She shrugs.

"We'll take try it

"We'll take try it." He says to the woman.

Mae's brows shoot up. "Nooo my fingers are too stubby-"

"How will we know if its right unless you try it?" He smiles taking the rings from the woman.

"Maybe when we plan on getting married, we can look." She says, not lifting her hand.

"Oh right hang on..." He sinks to one knee. "Mae Wigan, it was incredibly rude of me to not ask any sooner. But now I've manned up and found the confidence, will you do me the honor of being my wife?"

Mae's jaw drops as she stares at him holding the ring up. "I - uh - huh..." she squeaks. She can't find words. Or movement. But she manages to slowly nod twice and half lift her hand.

Jackson gently takes it and begins to slide the ring on her ring finger; Mae holds her breath waiting for it to not fit but she gasps loud as it slides right on. "Meant to be." He muses as he stands.

Mae grabs his face and kisses him hard. "You didn't tell me you were planning this! How long have you been planning this!?"

He laughs and holds her close, passing his card over to the woman. "It wouldn't have been a surprise if I told you. And I've been toying for months but decided for sure about 2 weeks ago."

"When..." Mae realises.

He nods small. "I couldn't bare the thought of losing you without showing you how much I truly love you." He says quietly, brushing her hair back. "It would have killed me."

She wraps her arms tightly around his neck and buries her face in him, not saying a word. She holds tightly for a few moments before letting go. "You ass." She mutters. "We don't keep secrets."

"This was a good secret though, no?" He smiles and takes his card and the small gift bag containing the wedding band. "Shall we go call MJ?"

Mae gasps. "She doesn't know!?"

"I think she guessed but I didn't tell anyone. Well, except my guy." He shrugs, arm around her as they walk out.

Mae can't stop looking at the ring on her finger. "You have a guy. Of course you have a guy." She laughs to herself. "I'm engaged. I'm engaged! Ha! Look! Look at this!" She waves it at a few strangers they pass.

Jackson grabs her hand as he laughs. "Oh my god, will you stop?" He teases, pushing her to sit at a table in a shady spot just outside of a cafe. "Call you friend, I'm gonna grab us some drinks to celebrate."

Mae pulls her phone out and instantly hits call on MJ. She clears her throat and composes herself some, looking a little down as MJ appears. "Hi- oh god, what? Italy is meant to be a dream but you look like a nightmare."

"I uh I hurt my hand." Mae says and shrugs small.

"Hurt- how?" MJ frowns, sitting up a little. "You're a doctor, can't you figure it out?"

"It feels super heavy. And weird. And I can't figure out why..." she trails off and scratches her cheek with her left hand.

"You probably slept on it. Or Jackson's fat ass laid on it. Is he there? Was my insult wasted?" MJ says oblivious.

Mae coughs and scratches her nose. "He's grabbing drinks to celebrate."

"Celebrate? Celebrate wh- what the fuck is that!" MJ screams as she stands quickly. "Oh shit I think I peed." She mutters but then screams again. "You're engaged!?!"

"Fuck off." Bently yells in the background. "No way!"

Mae giggles like a lovesick teenager. "I'm engaged!" She holds her hand up close to the camera, keeping the phone at arms length.

Jackson slips in beside her. "I can hear the screaming from here." He jokes.

"You ass!" MJ snaps playfully. "You never said anything!"

"It was spontaneous." He defends with a smile.

Bentley appears behind her. "Congrats guys. Jackson, you've done the impossible - no one ever thought Mae would settle."

"Hey!" Mae whines.

"I'm sorry, its true." MJ giggles. "Oh you need to send me a picture of the ring, it's gorgeous. I bet it cost a looooot."

Mae realises then that she never considered that. "How much..." she slowly says as she looks at Jackson.

"Thirshyr fur thusnad." He coughs and clears his throat as he says the number. "But its perfect so price doesn't matter!" He quickly adds.

Mae swallows hard. "I suddenly feel like it needs to be glued to my hand." She nervously laughs.

"Glued and welded and taped in place." MJ smiles. "I'm so freaking happy for you, oh you're the cutest couple." She begins to cry.

Mae and Jackson laugh. "MJ, don't have this baby before we get back." Jackson warns. "She won't ever forgive me if you do."

"No promises." She sobs.

Once the calls ended, Jackson and Mae sit in a cosy silence, her hand in his as he plays with her new ring. They sit watching the people cliff dive just below the balcony they sit by, families run around, children laugh. Their bubble is bliss and they never want to leave it. Ever.