"What about Vutur?" I growled, impatience and worry growing throughout my body. Was this related to Calix in any way?

"Your lorno has been whispering in my ear since you took over." He informed me as I clenched my fists at my side. What was Vutur's point in having fledglings if he didn't even care about them?

"Did he say anything about Calix?" I growled out through clenched teeth as Dralnith lowered his head.

"Yes. He only said how there wasn't any backup coming to help because he and Calix were capable enough. He didn't put in the word for backup, so nobody knew what was going on. Calix found out about his deceit and wanted out, so he left. They were in an unfamiliar part of the desert, and Calix couldn't tell which way was home because of the fog before he was attacked by the Kamot. Your lorno mentioned hearing noises but chalked it up to Calix learning his lesson. He hoped Calix would return back to the cave with his tail tucked between his legs, but instead, he found him the way he did." Dralnith explained as my body shook with anger.

"Leave!" Nuri's voice called out from the porch steps as I swiped my talons towards Dralnith in rage. I had barely missed his face as Nuri yanked him back in time by his hood of his cloak. "If you value your lives, you'll get off my porch and come back another day to swear your allegiance!" She yelled as they heeded her words and disappeared off into the darkness of the day. I couldn't think straight as rage filled my body. I held my head as the words rushed through my mind, growing louder and intense with each repeat. The golden tribal markings lit up my body with a new intensity that I've never seen before. I could feel the fire trying to climb up my throat with only one thing on my mind. "Mizail." Nuri's voice was soft, calm even as her warm hands gently touched my arms.

"No." I growled, my voice no longer sounding like mine. It was inhumane and in pain.

"Mizail." She called again, still soft and calm as smoke billowed from my nostrils. "Look at me, baby." She urged as my heart thumped loudly in my chest. When I wouldn't look at her, she placed a warm hand on my cheek until our eyes finally met. Those hazel eyes were soft and caring but full of love. "Take a deep breath for me." She instructed before demonstrating until I started following along with her. "That's good, baby. Let's go sit down for a second, okay?" She softly suggested as I gave a slight nod before she kicked the door closed and led me over to the sofa. As we sat down, she pulled me into her arms. "I'm so sorry." She whispered softly as the rage I felt earlier was slowly replaced by sadness.

"How could he do that?" I asked, fighting back the tears as she gently stroked my head. "How could he turn into a piece of shit?!" I growled angrily as she softly placed a kiss on the top of my head. "Calix would've still been here if it wasn't for him." I softly sobbed as Nuri held me close, her sweet scent comforting me. I gently wrapped my arms around her waist while she stayed with me like that until I could no longer cry.

"We're going to be okay." She softly spoke as I nodded. We were going to be okay once the sandstorm season ended. Sighing, I pulled back to look down at Nuri as she gently wiped away my tears with the sleeve of her cloak. Leaning forward, I pulled her close before kissing her. I wouldn't ever let Vutur hurt my family ever again. As we pulled back, she gazed at me. "I have no idea what you have in mind, but know, I'm here with you. Only you." She repeated my words as I smiled down at her.

"Always." I sighed while leaning my forehead against hers before my stomach rumbled.

"Did you not eat yet?" She asked while looking up at me as I shook my head. Just being around Nuri made me feel better. "Well, that won't do. It's a good thing your mom made a lot of….I forgot the name of it." She smiled sheepishly as I planted a gentle kiss upon her lips.

"Let's eat and go take a bath. I think we need to rest tonight." I gently peeled off her dark robe before placing it down on the other side of her. She now sat in an orange romper with more intricate designs sprawling from her waist along with these dark gold sandals with ribbons that wrapped up her legs. “I love you.” I smiled while running my hand up her leg as she returned my smile.