Chapter 39: Split

Eira's soul trembled as she saw Kaze's eyes closed. It couldn't be... His purple aura still flickered, he was fine right? He wasn't dying? Eira's hands shivered as her throat croaked again.

"Kaze!" Eira shouted with aggression as if being aggressive would pull his soul back into his body. Her grip was intense and tight at Kaze's shoulders and her eyes filled with tears. She slowly lifted her head and looked at the sky, a deep purple that slowly changed to a light blue. Her neck felt tight, she choked on her own breaths, the overwhelming guilt and remorse pounded in unison with her heart. Her mind didn't want to accept the fact that she had been the cause of Kaze's death. Her blue eyes dripped with tears that dampened her sleeve as she wiped them. A single image bled into her imagination. Ali. Eira's mind made a foolish conclusion. It was Ali's fault. Eira's hands clamped at Kaze's shoulders just at the thought of Ali. Kaze's body shifted and he took a deep breath. Eira's head violently turned downward to look at Kaze's face.

"I'm alright. Just trying to control my breathing." Kaze spoke quietly, his concentration on his breathing was obvious. Eira had a split second of relief, til her head fixated back forwards, her eyes widened as she felt the bright orange aura slowly flicker and become smaller and smaller. Eira jumped quickly and ran over to Rengoku, the sunlight peeked over the horizon and brightened the scene, Eira's light blue jacket flailed as she stumbled towards Rengoku, the sunlight illuminating his bright hair. Kaze's head hit the hard ground as Eira dashed away.

"Ow! Eir.." Kaze's face erupted with a scowl til he slowly lifted his head, and saw the situation. Kaze's bleeding immediately worsened as he took short breaths at the sight of Rengoku in such a disastrous position. As the hot blood flowed onto his already saturated sleeve, Kaze forcefully picked himself up and sprinted towards Rengoku, the blood left a trail behind him.

"Rengoku!" Kaze shouted as he kneeled by his side, his bloodstained hand held his wound as he panted. Both his and Eira's faces were pale with shock. Rengoku, the Flame Hashira, bold and seemingly invincible, was now on the verge of death after the battle with Akaza.

"Kaze... Eira. You two are extremely talented. Strong and courageous." Rengoku grunted as he struggled to get his words out. Blood spilt from his fatal stomach wound as he leaned forward.

"Strong people are the chosen few, and as the chosen few. You must protect those who can't protect themselves!" Rengoku's tone rose again, his last moments were not that of a hindering and weak flame. Eira's heart pounded as Rengoku's aura spiralled and burst with energy, the orange resembling a strong fire.

"You must put your strength to the limit! Push mountains and pull continents! That is the art of being human, our relentless determination! Our kindness and willingness to help others! The ability to swing a sword till our death!" Rengoku shouted, the sun itself shone brighter as it rose over the horizon and met the landscape, Rengoku's words stretched across the fields as he smiled with an undying hope and optimism.

"Set your hearts ablaze!" Rengoku's words brought both Eira and Kaze to tears.

"We're so sorry... we couldn't help you." Eira poured her guilt into words, she hadn't been of any help to Rengoku in the fight, she hadn't even defeated Ali. "I wasn't any help..." Eira's eyes flooded with tears and her heart hurt.

"Do not blame yourself. It is a Hashira duty to protect those under them, any Hashira would've done the same. I want you to grow in strength, clench your fists, dry your tears and pull your weight. Until you become Hashira as well, powerful ones!" Rengoku's words slowly became less and less loud. He didn't have much time left. Eira's hands frequently wiped at her eyes, Kaze was silent in disbelief and shock, his eyes tinted red as he fought the urge to wail.