Chapter 25: Shadow

Eira and Asumi had spent the entire day and afternoon in a small village close to their mission, exploring together, it was only evening when they remembered the vital mission they had been assigned. Mount Natagumo. As the evening drew closer and the sky slowly darkened. The two Demon Slayers walked on a narrow grass path, straight towards Mount Natagumo, even when they were kilometres away, the gigantic mountain concealed by tall and dense trees was visible. The dark grey clouds that loomed above the gloomy mountain stayed still, shadowing the mountain from any sunlight. Even with the vibrant colours of sunset, Mount Natagumo was a deep grey, overflowing with evil. The soft wind pushed the backs of the ambitious Demon Slayers.

As Eira and Asumi found themselves at the entrance of the grim mountain, they were met by a steep slope upwards, they both gave each other a look and increased their pace. The remaining sunlight was blocked out by the tall and thick trees. The further they travelled into the mountain, Eira's senses overloaded, over 20 colours bounced around in her head. They weren't alone. All of the auras were scattered across the forests, and as she ran deeper up the mountain the auras only increased in number and intensity.

"Surely all those auras aren't demons..." Eira slowed down as they approached a flat slope. Both Asumi and Eira looked around, the dark green floors merged into the scattered trees that grew to the sky. Tall bushes hindered their sight, creating many blind spots. Asumi unsheathed her sword. Eira tried to focus on the variety of auras that squirmed in every direction. They were distant but strong.

Eira felt goosebumps climb up her arms, she detected a strong purple aura. She associated the colour purple with calm, this purple barely had any outbursts of emotion while it moved unlike others. It was very calm.

Eira recalled what her crow had said about the mission.

"You as Kanoe are summoned" That meant most if not all Kanoe have been summoned here.

The mountain echoed with a ghostly silence. Eira's mind was focused on the bold purple aura, it was moving rapidly, sometimes to her left, sometimes to her right.

"Asumi wait... Something's here." Eira stopped in her tracks and pulled out her sword. Asumi looked back, the sky now a deep blue dotted with stars that glistened. The cold air circled around the both of them as they paid close attention to around them. Eira tried to track the bold purple that was so clear in her head. She couldn't exactly pinpoint the location of the aura as it was just so... fast, it didn't stop at one area ever. It was constantly circling around everywhere.

Eira felt a tug at her jacket, it was Asumi pointing at something, through a small gap in the bushes, they could see a figure that stood swinging their sword repeatedly.

"There! That's the purple!" Eira thought to herself, now that she saw it, she could feel it. Eira's eyes widened as it dashed, it was the same person who held the purple aura. The purple aura was so fast, it would move so fast and back in under a second. The air was tense with anticipation. Whoever it was... They were dangerous. Asumi slowly crouched and trudged through the thick leaves that covered the floor. Eira followed her and they both hid behind the tall bushes. Eira had just caught up when she looked over at Asumi. Asumi's face was pale, she took a step back and her sword fell to the ground. Eira quickly peeked through the bushes, wanting to know what had put Asumi into such a shock. As she gained a clear view her heart dropped, her whole body tensed. She also took a step back. Her grip on her sword tightened so hard the handle might break as Eira's skin crawled with discomfort. Eira's hands shook with a combination of anxiety and adrenaline.

The figure illuminated by the moonlight, their face shadowed but their sword shone. A distinct and unforgettable emerald green sword, patterned with light green spikes up its blade, and a unique crossguard. The sight of the sword flooded their mind with terrible memories. The sword that was lodged so deeply in the Earth, stained by blood. Ali's sword. Eira's body shivered everytime the purple aura dashed forward and back. She was left in a trance of confusion and fear. Asumi was on her knees, her whole body had given up and her eyes wide. It was too early for them to meet Ali, the whole incident replayed in their head. Ali's smile flashed in their minds. Eira held her sword tightly, she glanced down at Asumi.

"Ali... It can't be. He never had a purple colour did he? He was always grey." Eira swallowed her fears with false affirmations to herself. "It can't be..."

Eira took a deep breath and felt her body refill with strength. She grabbed Asumi's jacket and pulled her up. Asumi's legs shook. Her sword still laid on the ground.

Eira took a deep breath again. She tilted her sword to the right, she didn't know who it was, but they were a threat. Her mind analysed which breathing form would be best for this situation.

"Ice Breathing. 4th Form, Winter's Breeze." Eira dashed forward holding her sword close to her body, a form that was fast and would slice precisely and strongly. She closed the gap between her and the figure in no time, she had a tinge of hesitation when it came to swinging, however, she pushed the hesitation away. Asumi flinched at the deafening sound of sword clashing. She pushed herself through the bush and saw sparks fly with every clash of blades. The attacks were so fast they were a blur, Asumi knew it was best if she didn't interfere. Not that she could.
Eira didn't even have her eyes open, she was relying solely on her aura detecting ability. The purple moved smoothly and precisely, it was unusually calm. That's when Eira realised. That realisation made her pause for a single second. That's all that was needed for her opponent. Sparks flew as Eira felt an abnormal amount of strength strike her sword, her sword jerked out of her hands and she was pushed back by the force. She opened her eyes quickly as her back hit the ground.

Her eyes met with her opponent. It was not Ali. It was someone else. Asumi was just about to dash in herself when she too saw his face. It was like all fear exited her body when she realised it wasn't Ali.

"Chill. We're all human here." He spoke and held his hand out. Eira immediately started scanning him, his features weren't unique, but he'd definitely stand out in a large crowd. Black hair covered his head, dark eyes stared back at Eira. He was tall, maybe even taller than Ali. She noticed that he wasn't wearing the Demon Slayer Corps Uniform, it was just regular clothing.
"Sorry... I didn't mean to attack you out of the blue. We thought you were someone else." Eira grabbed his hand, she glanced at Asumi and then to the emerald sword that didn't cease to stand out.

"It's all good. Not the first time. My name is Kaze." He smiled at both of them. Both of them had the same thought, that he had an uncanny similarity to Ali. They exchanged glances.
"Eira," Eira smiled back, "and that's Asumi." The forest, atmosphere and everything reminded her of her first meeting with Ali. Eira still had a multitude of questions. Especially to do with the sword, that sword was lodged deep into the ground, only someone with immense strength could pull it out.

"Cool sword." Asumi got to the question first. Her tone made it obvious she knew where it was from, she didn't even try to cover it up. The atmosphere was tense with anticipation.
"Oh. Yeah I found it somewhere, I picked it up because I was using this really old rusty sword before. Thought it'd be an upgrade you know?" Kaze laughed a bit.

Eira and Asumi glanced at each other.
"What breathing style do you use?" Eira added. Eira looked at him and saw some sort of calmer breathing style, maybe Water.

"Shadow Breathing, well.. It isn't really a breathing style, I've-" Kaze was speaking before Eira interrupted him.

"Shadow Breathing?! Wow! I've never heard about that style!" Eira was surprised with his answer. "Are you here for the mission?"

"Yes I am, anyways, I wouldn't want to barge into your group so I'll get going." Kaze politely said and waved goodbye. Both Eira and Asumi had the exact same thought, that he was nothing like Ali, there was no possibility Ali would ever pass up in joining a group.

Just as Kaze turned his back, a ghastly feeling came over all of them. Eira felt a deep red aura bleed throughout the mountain, something evil was coming. Just then Kaze stopped in his tracks.

"You hear that?.." Kaze looked back with a confused look on his face.

------------------------

Author's Note: 

YOOO NEW CHARACTER, I PROMISE YOU ALL THAT YOU ARE GOING TO ENJOY KAZE.
And I also realised that the links I put at the end of every episode don't work on most of the websites since u can't copy and paste them, so I've decided to just put the platforms and not links. Deadass wasted so much time putting the links so I'm actually happy I don't have to anymore. 

And as always, if you enjoyed the story, go ahead and add it to your library, vote for it or whatever the system is on the website you're reading on!

Amare Flos is also on Wattpad, Webnovel, Fanfiction.net and Archive of our Own.