Chapter 1

It was a bright and sunny day, not a cloud in the sky, when she arrived in the little town closest to Terra, the capital. The little town was called Willow. It was named for the forest it was settled in, Weeping Willow Forest. The town was quite small, but it had charm. The people were friendly and they seemed to live a good life.

When making her way through the town Nakita Warfield came across a restaurant that had the wonderful smell of roasted chicken coming out of it. After smelling the wonderful smells coming out of the restaurant she couldn't help but stop and have some food. There were plenty of tables available so she was seated immediately.

As she was eating her meal a group of men came in and sat not far from her. To her they seemed sketchy so she decided to pay attention to their conversation. Luckily Nakita had incredible hearing. It wasn't long before she heard them start to whisper to each other.

"Which way do you think he'll be going?"

"My best guess is the most direct route. Especially with the way things are heating up on the border. Dromland has been more active lately at the border."

This one seemed to be the leader of this shady group of people. Possibly even the smartest. From what they said, Nakita figured that they were talking about the second prince Rory. She had learned from her father that the second prince would be headed to the border to help there.

"After eating we will go the most direct route. He should be going through here soon."

Hearing this Nakita quickly finished her food and went to talk to the people that were taking her to Terra. When the shady people came out they overheard her conversation. It was the conversation that she wanted them to hear.

"So the prince is going to meet the general on the battlefield?"

"Yes. He told me so himself. Instead of him taking the most direct route, they are having him go along the edge of the forest and mountain. There are less travelers that way so they think it will be safer for the prince."

"That is so smart. I wouldn't have thought of that."

Not far away those that heard her conversation spoke quickly amongst themselves before heading north. They were heading in the direction that Nakita had wanted them to go in. She was so glad that that had worked.

With her accomplishing that she got back in her carriage and headed out of town toward Terra. She still had at least a day's worth of travel before arriving in the capital. When she was about an hour outside of Willow, she heard a carriage coming toward hers so she looked outside. By the look of the carriage it could only be transporting the second prince. Although it didn't have anything saying it was the royal family, she could tell by how expensive it looked that it was a carriage of the royal family.

Nakita watched it go the route she had expected it to. She was glad that her father had told her about the King sending the second prince to the battlefield. If she hadn't known she might not have been able to help guide those shady people in the other direction and they would have done God knows what to the second prince.

After traveling for a couple of hours she heard the sound of a lot of horses heading her way. Luckily Nakita could see through the curtains without having to show herself to anyone. The curtains on her family's carriage were made specially. They were made so that those inside could see outside but those outside couldn't see inside. Her mother had them made so that they could see out without anyone seeing in.

The group of men getting closer to her were all wearing black, which told Nakita that they were the elite soldiers of their country, Great Pan. They were led by Prince Zander, who was next in line to be King. They were the ones who handled anything that the King thought was too tough for the regular army to handle. They also were accustomed to handling anything that needed immediate action.

As they got closer to her carriage the man who looked to be Prince Zander's right hand man stopped their carriage and said, "We are looking for a group of people, we would like to search your carriage."

The servant that her mother sent with her said, "My Lady is an unmarried miss. It is improper for men to search her carriage."

Knowing what they were here for and that she had the answer, she said, "Sir, don't mind her. If you need to search the carriage I am fine with that."

Shocked, Prince Zander said, "You are an unmarried miss... and you are willing to let us search your carriage? Surely you know what that could do to your reputation."

Nakita wanted to laugh but didn't since he might have taken it the wrong way. "Yes, I know what it could do to my reputation. However, if you are here looking for someone that means it's important, so I dare not say no." Prince Zander was about to say something when Nakita said, "It just so happens that I know what it is you are searching for."

Prince Zander arched his eyebrows and said, "Oh really? And what is that?"

"You are here because of the second prince. He passed my carriage not long ago. Then again there was also the group of shady people that I overheard while I was in Willow. They were talking about which way the second prince would be going."

Before Nakita could say anything else, Prince Zander told his men, "We have to hurry or else they will get him before we can get..."

Nakita interrupted what the prince was saying, "Don't you want to hear the rest of what I have to say?"

Prince Zander looked at the carriage and said, "There's more?"

"Yes, there is."

"Go on. And could you hurry please." Prince Zander was worried about his brother therefore he was rather impatient.

"When I overheard their conversation I could tell that it was the second prince they were talking about. And I already figured which way he would head since I had already known where he was going. So I let the shady group of people overhear a conversation I set up. My conversation led them to believe that the prince would be traveling the border of the forest and the mountains. So, Prince Zander, now you know that your brother is safe and where to find those that wish to harm him."

"Wait a minute. How did you know it was Prince Rory that they were looking for?" Prince Zander was incredibly confused.

"Oh, I forgot to mention that I am the daughter of General Warfield. Not long ago I got a letter from him letting me know that he and my brothers were being sent to the border and would be gone for quite some time. So I figured out from that that the second prince would be sent there by the King. In the past, during the most important battles the King would always send at least one from the royal family to help with anything they could."

"How did you know it would be Prince Rory and which route he would take?" Prince Zander was completely stumped by this lady.

"Well seeing how you lead your own group of soldiers, the king wouldn't send you. So the next best would be the second prince. You and your brothers, being princes, are all taught martial arts and military strategy. So after you, the next oldest and most knowledgeable, would be the second prince. And as for which way he would go... From the letter I received from my father I could tell that the situation at the border is urgent so the second prince would take the most direct route." After a moment she added, "Oh and I convinced that shady group of people that the second prince would take the less traveled route because it would be safer. So my suggestion would be to send a few after the prince to make sure he's protected but the majority of you go after those that wished to hurt him."

Prince Zander nodded. "Thank you for your help today." Next he ordered ten of his men to go after the prince and the rest headed to intercept the people who wished to harm his brother. As he rode away to stop those men he couldn't stop thinking about the lady.

He could tell that she was smart and had some knowledge of strategy, though he didn't know how much. She seemed to be different from any other ladies that he had been around. Most ladies after hearing what she had heard would have just ignored it. She was different though. She had made sure that she sent those men the wrong way in order to protect his brother. He, very much, wanted to learn more about her.