The dogs bite at night

Hunter loved this city. All its dirty, dark corners and alleys. It was perfect in every way. Here he could operate completely freely, free from control and strings that held him to a law. His little private empire was in the middle of the city, hidden under several freeway bridges. He ignored the dirty bums in the back alleys, because they were no threat to him.

What was a thorn in his eye were the other gangs who kept trying to claim his empire for themselves and oust him. Today he would prove to them once and for all who owned the city's underground. He stood at the outer gate to his warehouse enjoying the warm air, a few small rays of sunlight made it to the bottom and speckled the ground with bright spots. His men worked busily behind him in the hall. Running from side to side, they carried countless empty black bags to the cars, weapons and ammunition lying ready to hand in the trunks and on the back benches.

Hunter's green eyes watched the goings-on with a keen eye, nothing could go wrong, no bullet was to be left behind, every one of them was to find a target this afternoon. Car door after car door slammed rhythmically, and it almost sounded like a beat. Oh yeah, a damn good beat.

"Boss, we're done," one of the men beside him suddenly spoke. The green eyes turned sideways and a wry smile spread across his lips. Two rows of sharp, pointed teeth hid behind his mask. The glowing LED strip that ran seamlessly between the artificial skin on his neck lit up enthusiastically. Like every other face, that of his counterpart lay hidden beneath a pitch-black dog mask. Bright, neon accents around the eyes and muzzle adorned the leather mask.

"Perfect," Hunter clapped his hands loudly once, and the clapping echoed through the great hall. "Off to the vehicles then, I want to see the banks burn," greedy eagerness burned in his eyes like cold green fire.

They took the shortest route to Neyon's largest bank, sparing no risk or loss. The sooner the media and police were on their heels, the better. Cars came to a halt with screeching tires, scattered all around the building. Passersby and workers ran unsuspectingly down the streets and everyone who just left the bank had the luck of their lives. Everyone else who just entered it.... Hm hm hm, Hunter laughed to himself with pleasure. Oh they are going to regret getting up today.

Hunter watched people like a child watches his collection of ants. And that's all they were to him. Disgusting little ants. Whoever had thought androids were subservient to humans, shackled to them and created to submit like a dog, was in for a surprise. He bided his time until another large group of officials, bankers who had just come out of break together, entered the building before exiting his car and opening the trunk to retrieve his weapon.

"Aaaaah," with a wide, wild grin, Hunter looked down at the weapons. A beautiful Colt M4 flashed briefly in the city sunlight before finding its way into his hands. "That's it."

The glass building reflected the city's neon blue and purple advertising banners onto the ground at their feet. Soon the asphalt would turn from a boring, drab gray to a rich, exciting red. Hunter pulled his own dog mask deeper into his face and loaded the gun with a satisfying click. With a firm, confident gait, he held the gun casually in his hand as he walked straight toward the bank. Some passersby already spotted the gun dangling from his side and wisely took flight. With a wink directed at the shocked passersby, he stepped through the glass door and found himself surrounded by working people and unsuspecting passersby who just wanted to manage their money transactions.

"Good afternoon, Bank of Neyon Angeles. This is a robbery in progress. Yes, I repeat, a robbery," the victorious grin resonated in his every word, dripping with greed and murderousness. "Move and scream as much as you can. You're going to die either way," he let the words sink in for a few seconds, savoring the growing fear and panic that slowly took hold, then craned his neck. A high, wolf-like howl came deep from his throat, echoing through the dead silence, and seconds later dozens of masked men stormed the bank and opened fire.