Consequences

V had many questions floating around in his head and yet he didn't dare ask any of them. He and Kaden also had to listen to a lot from their mothers in the evening, but the next day all that was forgiven.

Enthusiastically they told the other children and also some adults what they had seen in the city. The story about the dog amazed mostly the older ones. No one of V's age could imagine what such a dog would be, they were more excited about the cornfield. The fruit had been divided fairly among the clan and Ash scowled all day. It wasn't the first time he had been forbidden to leave the camp, but dragging V into the whole thing had been too much of a good thing. His parents couldn't make sense of Ash's rebellious behavior themselves, it was just something where they had to learn to bring it under control. Maybe the month at the camp would bring Ash back down to earth a bit. Here they had him in their sights.

At least they thought so.

Time and again he escaped from the camp and disappeared for the whole day almost without a trace. Usually at lunchtime he slipped out of camp and ran over to town to meet up with Mira. Today was no exception. She was much nicer than he initially wanted to admit, and she told him a lot about what it was like to live in a city. Always waking up in the same place and knowing every stick and stone on the streets by heart. To be sheltered from heat and sandstorms. Even in small places like this, people looked out for each other, not so different from their clan. How he wished he too could finally get out of the clan and live a real life in a permanent home, not the scorching heat on his neck all the time. He hated living in the desert, constantly moving and never being able to have friends his own age. All the younger kids just bugged him.

Nonetheless, he remained cautious and met Mira at an old, rusty playground just outside of town. A flat rock wall shielded the place and offered Ash the general anonymity his parents had taught him. Never attract unnecessary attention, and what Ash was doing here was certainly not too smart. After all, they had just robbed a store here and Ash was sure the owner would recognize him. So he kept a low profile and waited on one of the swings, which squeaked quietly in protest as it swung back and forth. The fine red rust dust always stuck to his palms, leaving a subtle metallic smell on his skin. His legs dangled slightly over the sandy ground and the sun again burned down mercilessly on the ground. He scratched impatiently at the sand with the tip of his shoe, wondering where Mira was today. She was later than usual and so gradually he was getting restless.

"Ash!" He turned his head jerkily in the direction from which the voice came and inevitably a happy smile spread across his lips. Mira came running across the square with Bandit in tow and waved at him a few times. Ash stayed seated on the swing and waited with a smile until Mira was with him. Bandit greeted him by pushing him off the swing, tail wagging, and licking his face with his tongue. "Ew, Bandit!" scolded Ash in disgust, but the little attack did nothing to dampen his good mood. He shoved the excited dog off of him and tried to get back to his feet, but Bandit just dropped onto his lap and turned his stomach. Ash began to rub Bandit's belly and with each stroke of his hand more, Bandit only spread himself wider. His legs bobbed up and down with each breath.

"He's quite fond of you," Mira commented as she joined Ash on the floor.

"You think? He lets everyone pet him, doesn't he?"

"Yeah, but not everyone's belly. I think he likes you quite a bit," Ash looked at her at the statement and could see something glinting in her eyes that he didn't quite understand, but it brought a blush to his cheeks.

"What do we want to do today?" He asked quickly, trying to get rid of that strange tingling in his stomach with it.

"Do you want to go somewhere else today? For example, to the lake? The playground is boring, we always hang out here," Mira pouted, shoving her lower lip forward. "Or we could play with the others in the cornfield? I've seen that V and Kaden are there more often, and lots of others of you!" She interrupted her own train of thought and began to beam all over her face. Ash frowned and thought about it. It shouldn't really be a problem to take her with the others, should it? After all, his brother already knew her, and they would be far enough out in the field not to be seen.