Chapter Three

"What do you mean you're not coming anymore?"

"I forgot to tell you about it. Things happened too quickly, but Mr. Russo promised to take care of the work I left at the office."

"But--"

"Lily, I hope you understand my situation. A lot has happened since I agreed to sell my company to Mr. Russo, plus, I need to talk to my daughter and discuss matters with my lawyer about it."

He said it in exasperation making me feel bad. I can only imagine how stressful it is for Mr. Brown to get through everything and here I am complaining about things that could be fixed easily.

"I understand, Mr. Brown. I do apologize for my behavior. You're right, what happened to Monique should be your first priority. Don't worry, I'll do everything I can to get things done in no time," I told him, and he just thanked me before ending the call.

I looked around his office and sighed. It's only been 20 minutes since Mr. Russo, the new boss left me by myself. I sat on the sofa and covered my face with my hands. Sighing deeply, I got up and went outside.

I went to check all floors and departments to check if I can find Mr. Russo. I need to talk to him about what he said. I need to know where I stand in the company. I was standing in front of the elevator waiting for it to open when I sensed two girls standing behind me.

"Have you seen our new boss?"

"Yes! Damn, he's so hot!" My eyebrows furrowed as I was listening to two female employees talk about Mr. Russo.

I know these two ladies. They're from the Accounting Department. I turned to look at them and they immediately stopped talking. "Good morning, ma'am," they both greeted.

"Good morning," I answered and went in as soon as the doors opened.

I looked at them and they lowered their heads while getting in as well. I don't know why people do that when they see me. It's always been like that since I joined the company. No one ever dared to speak to me unless it has something to do with work. I kind of got used to it, but it still bothers me sometimes.

I spent almost half an hour searching, but there was no sign of Mr. Russo. Everyone I met and asked about him said they did not see him at all. Growing frustrated, I went back to the top floor where Mr. Brown and my office are. I sat on my chair and waited for Mr. Russo although I was not sure if he was coming back.

I kept myself busy with checking emails that I forgot about him. I stood up from my seat and did a little bit of stretching. As soon as I was done, my phone rang. It's from an unknown caller. I took my phone from the table and went to the fire exit. This is where I usually take personal calls.

"Hello?"

"Lily!"

"Anna?"

"Yeah. Sorry I called using a different number."

"It's fine. Are you okay?" She hummed on the on the other line.

"I just called to tell you that I met a guy here." I was waiting for her to continue but she just didn't speak after that.

"Okay? So, how's it going?"

"Pretty good. I actually really like him." I don't know why Anna seems to be dragging her words right now, as if she is being cautious.

"That's great, isn't it?"

"Yeah. Yeah. Everything's great, but dad called me this morning and he was asking me to meet up with his friend's son."