Chapter 7

Harry spoke up though, wanting to know more, "you had a brother?"

"He was younger than me," said Sirius, "and a much better son, as I was constantly reminded."

"But he died," said Harry.

"Yeah," said Sirius. "Stupid idiot . . . he joined the Death Eaters."

"You don't understand Sirius," Kirra spoke up, though it was clear she didnt want to talk about it in front of the others. 

The three Slytherins had gone quiet, they didnt know much about Regulus Black but they definietly knew enough to understand how both Sirius and Kirra were feeling. 

"Come on Emily, don't tell me youre sticking to the same story," Sirius sighed, shaking his head

"Whatever," she muttered, and then she left the room

Harry watched his sister leave before looking back at Sirius, "You're kidding!"

"What story?" Jasper asked in confusion

"After he died, Emily kept trying to defend Regulus and explain that he had to have done what he had for a reason," Sirius muttered, shaking his head, "said she thought he was looking for a way to bring down the dark lord but Regulus wouldn't tell her about it, still she stuck to it, she trusted him and thought he was good."

"And you didnt believe her?" Mattheo spoke up, confusion in his tone. From what he had seen and heard so far, he thought Sirius had believed practically anything that Emily had told him, but it was clear that his thoughts on his family were already set in stone, and not even Emily could change that.

"Come on, Mattheo, haven't you seen enough of this house to tell what kind of wizards my family were?" said Sirius testily.

"Were — were your parents Death Eaters as well?" Jasper asked

"No, no, but believe me, they thought Voldemort had the right idea, they were all for the purification of the Wizarding race, getting rid of Muggle-borns and having purebloods in charge. They weren't alone either, there were quite a few people, before Voldemort showed his true colors, who thought he had the right idea about things. . . . They got cold feet when they saw what he was prepared to do to get power, though. But I bet my parents thought Regulus was a right little hero for joining up at first."

"Was he killed by an Auror?" Harry asked tentatively.

"Oh no," said Sirius. "No, he was murdered by Voldemort. Or on Voldemort's orders, more likely, I doubt Regulus was ever important enough to be killed by Voldemort in person. From what I found out after he died, he got in so far, then panicked about what he was being asked to do and tried to back out. Well, you don't just hand in your resignation to Voldemort. It's a lifetime of service or death."

"Lunch," said Mrs. Weasley's voice.

She was holding her wand high in front of her, balancing a huge tray loaded with sandwiches and cake on its tip. She was very red in the face and still looked angry. The others moved over to her, eager for some food, but Mattheo remained with Sirius, who had bent closer to the tapestry.

"I haven't looked at this for years. There's Phineas Nigellus . . . my great-great-grandfather, see? Least popular headmaster Hogwarts ever had . . . and Araminta Meliflua . . . cousin of my mother's . . . tried to force through a Ministry Bill to make Muggle-hunting legal . . . and dear Aunt Elladora . . . she started the family tradition of beheading house-elves when they got too old to carry tea trays . . . of course, anytime the family produced someone halfway decent they were disowned. I see Tonks isn't on here. Maybe that's why Kreacher won't take orders from her — he's supposed to do whatever anyone in the family asks him. . . ."