twelve.

The boy was pouting, running nimble fingers across the filthy ground with his lip sticking out.

Haneul felt guilty, like it was her fault he was in a bad mood. She didn't want to hurt her friend's feelings, hurriedly going to sit down next to him.

"What's the matter?"

He didn't look at her, just methodically scraped the dirt from underneath his fingernails. "I can't come play with you anymore. I have to go forever this time."

     No.

Moisture pricked in the corners of her eyes and she blinked rapidly. "No, you can't. You can't leave me here," she begged plaintively. "I'll be all alone, please don't."

     He ignored her, unfurling large, ebony wings from his back before reluctantly meeting her gaze. Pain flashed in his eyes for a moment before he narrowed his brows, studying her face intently.

     "I hope..."

     But there was nothing to say. The words trailed off in his throat as he cast his eyes to the hard ground, hands fisting as he braced himself and shot up into the sky, leaving Haneul in her solitude.

     All alone. In the darkness. She was alone.

-

     Haneul jerked up suddenly with a cry, her panic inducing dream triggering her fight or flight. She swiftly fell back down as hot, searing pain shot through her abdomen, sending shockwaves through her body.

Her hands moved to rub her sore eyes and she blew a long breath out, the pain slowly rolling through her.

     "Ohhh, fuck me."

     "I'd rather not."

Freezing, Haneul peeked through her fingers, wincing as she focused on the man sitting next to her bed. The man whose face was tense with barely concealed fury.

Minho leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "I'm saving yelling at you for when I'm sure you won't rip your stitches out from cowering away from me. So for now, tell me exactly why I found you in a pool of your own blood with a Mimic Demon about to rip your stomach out."

Her throat was so dry, Haneul opened her mouth to speak and could only cough, each movement causing a ribbon of fire to race down her belly. Minho impatiently handed her a glass of water, watching as she greedily gulped the liquid down.

"What's a Mimic Demon?" Haneul rasped out, trying to stop her anxious hands from touching her bandaged abdomen.

A muscle flexed in his jaw. "Questions after. Tell me."

Swallowing hard, Haneul stared at the blankets that had been tucked tightly around her. "I didn't have the bracelet on, I forgot to put it back after I showered. The... the Mimic, it looked like you. Except for its eyes, that's how I knew."

Haneul had to pause, moistening her lips as she walked them both through the attack. Nausea filled her stomach when she shifted and felt the tug of fresh stitches.

"It knocked on the door, which was odd because you never do. I should've realized, but I let it inside, and when I did notice I tried to get the dagger you gave me. It was next to the bracelet, so I grabbed both and then... and then it..."

     Her breath grew uneven, and Haneul squeezed her eyes closed, recalling the hungry look on its face as it tore into her flesh. The sound echoed in her ears unbidden.