nine.

"Why don't you put your talons away and we can just talk."

     The three men—all with wings branching from their backs—stared at her incredulously. The newcomer gestured towards Minho, whose fingers now came to a point with razor-sharp claws.

     "A demon is in your living room, Haneul," Hyunjin spat, his multicolored wings ruffling in agitation.

     "Oh, shut up," Haneul retorted, drawing a snort from Minho. "I didn't know until a minute ago that you were a half angel-demon person, along with my childhood best friend, so all of you will sit down and shut up while I think. Sit."

     Jisung immediately dropped to the floor, his wings somehow winking out of existence; Hyunjin followed suit, his back smooth as he stared daggers at Minho. Haneul eyed his empty shoulder blades with tiredness.

     "That will require an explanation later."

Minho refused to sit, but agreed to transform back into his regular fingers, his wings shining in the dim light.

"I'll protect you because it's my duty, but I will not be forced to be around their kind," he hissed, bristling when Hyunjin's chin jutted defiantly in his direction.

"Cut it out," Haneul groaned, waving her hands around. "Have all of you forgotten what time it is? Can we please reconvene in the morning, I'm too tired and confused to be having a serious conversation right now. Hyunjin, Jisung, you're welcome to stay."

Hyunjin scrunched his nose apologetically. "I'm supposed to have a photoshoot first thing in the morning. About four hours from now, actually," he sighed, then gave Minho a side glance. "Jisung, you should stay."

Her best friend stared at her with wide eyes, his expression begging her to realize and understand that he couldn't bear to be in Minho's presence for much longer. Her heart pinched in disappointment, and she forced the feeling away.

"No, it's fine. I'll be okay by myself."

     Hyunjin immediately protested. "Are you serious? We can't just leave you with this thing, it's not—"

     "Hyunjin, he's my guardian," Haneul said unhappily, trying not to focus on the way Jisung was poised to bolt out of the door.

     "That's not even possible, what are you saying?"

     Her friend turned red as he spluttered, pausing as she raised a hand in frustration. "If you aren't going to stay, then leave. Now."

     "Haneul, please—"

     "Now," she snapped. "He won't hurt me, I'll be fine and I'll see you later, okay?"

After her insistent reassurance, Jisung couldn't get out of the door fast enough, an unsure Hyunjin at his back. The room went silent after the front door swung closed; Minho scrutinized Haneul in the humming quiet, running his hand along the top of her couch.

"But not me? The one who's been keeping you alive over the past week? I'm not welcome?"

"Don't act like you want to be here, go home," Haneul challenged, walking off to her bedroom. She could feel Minho's steaming presence behind her, his obvious irritation radiating in waves.

As she stomped down the hall, Minho grabbed her elbow, forcing her to look at him. "I don't really care how you know the filth you call friends, but I will not tolerate their presence. I don't need the flack from being associated with them, my name deserves more respect."

Haneul ripped her arm from his grasp. "Why should I respect you? From the moment you met me, all you've done is harass me, acting like you don't care whether I live or die. Except apparently, you do. Don't lecture me. Just stay out of my way."