ten.

Breakfast was awkward.

Minho had sprawled out on the couch, hooded eyes watching her waddle into her small kitchen to rummage for sustenance.

She knew she didn't have much to eat, and one glance into her refrigerator confirmed that. Haneul debated what she could make, peering around the shelves with one hand balanced on a hip. Minho brushed up behind her, nostrils flaring as he followed her gaze.

"Are we eating or what?"

"I usually eat out."

The demon scoffed, brows dipping in disapproval. "How are you supposed to cook for guests if you can't cook for yourself?"

Haneul pressed her lips together, his breath raising goosebumps on her shoulder. "Those two, they're my only friends. No one else comes over, and when they do we buy meals beforehand."

Unsure of why she was embarrassed, Haneul grabbed a bowl from her cabinet and took out the few eggs she had, cracking and whisking them under Minho's watchful eye.

After seeing how many shell fragments had made it into the mixture, he elbowed Haneul aside. "You're going to kill us. Let me."

A bit stunned, Haneul obeyed and sat on the counter as the demon easily navigated her kitchen, throwing ingredients she didn't even know she had together. His face softened as he worked, and Haneul could tell he was enjoying the process a tiny bit.

In a lull of silence, she ventured a question. "How did you do that?"

The demon didn't turn from the stovetop. "Do what?"

Haneul's fingers trailed across her neck. "Heal me like that? Do all demons have that power?"

"Low-classified demons don't, their divine power is restricted to whatever their species was designed for: hypnotism, seduction, shape shifting, etcetera. High-classified demons were gifted with a touch of Lucifer's own power; we're his closest offspring, resembling his intelligence the most and therefore trusted with a certain level of power."

He paused to sprinkle some seasoning into the food. "I'm a bit different, though. High demons are able to teleport wherever they want to, I'm able to do it faster than anyone else, because I'm a guardian. High demons can heal, I can bring you back from the brink of death. That bracelet on your wrist? I can use my raw power to mold any object as long as its use is to protect you."

So basically he had unchallengeable strength and resources. Haneul was beginning to like her odds a little more. But she had one more question.

"Why are you even my guardian in the first place?"

His hands stilled, the sound of eggs frying filling up the kitchen. He did turn to meet her eyes this time, and there was no threat, but a controlled hardness that made her shiver.

"No more questions. Eat."

Minho handed her a plate then, and the smell that wafted into her face caused her stomach to growl obnoxiously. He didn't bother hiding his smirk as she glared and studied the carefully garnished food.

Without thanking him, Haneul dug in, immediately suppressing the urge to nod in approval. He was a bastard, but he could make some good food.

After inhaling half of her eggs, Haneul looked up to see Minho still quirking a grin, contentedly eating his own food.

"Taste okay?" he asked innocently, licking a finger that was still spotted with her blood. Haneul quickly averted her gaze and frowned, popping the last bit of egg in her mouth.