six.

She was a little shocked at how attractive the voice was.

High pitched and soft like a woman's, but with a strange enunciation to the words, like they weren't entirely familiar with the language. It spoke again, closer this time.

     "How unfortunate that your guardian isn't here—he doesn't keep a very close eye on you, you know. I doubt he'll be fast enough now."

     Haneul's trembling fingers slid into her pocket for her phone, and she fearfully switched on her flashlight, the beam unsteady as she lifted it. And fought the urge to vomit.

     Whatever was pursuing her was not a woman, it wasn't even close to resembling a human. The repulsive, stretched figure's empty eyes stared at her from its 7 foot view, its unnaturally wide grin glinting in the beam. Haneul's stomach dropped when it revealed its crimson-stained teeth.

     "Really, what was he thinking, leaving you like this? It's too tempting, you being all alone. Such an easy target," it babbled, waving it's extremely slim fingers in the air. Its body wobbled as if it wasn't used to walking.

     "He doesn't care for me very much," Haneul whispered, slyly fishing for the shell that had been buried in her pocket.

     The demon nodded sympathetically, its hairless head swaying against the chilling breeze. "Such a shame, you seem nice enough. I'd try to make your end quick, pet, but suffering is what I feed on. I do hope you understand."

     As it advanced, Hanuel grasped the shell and pinched it, breaking the slick surface with as much force as she could muster.

     The gloom dispersed slightly as she witnessed her guardian's appearance, knowing well enough to shield her face against the stifling heat this time.

     He materialized and zeroed in on her, his wings reflecting his agitation as they fluttered. "I told you that was only for emergencies—"

     Haneul cut him off as he took in her expression, pointing over his shoulder numbly.

     Huffing his displeasure, he spun around and almost flinched, apparently surprised at the other demon towering over the two of them.

     The grotesque creature had backed up, alarm registering on its thin face. "Oh... this is awkward."

     Her demon flashed his teeth, manic light filling his gaze. "It sure is."

     And he lunged, knocking Haneul's phone to the ground and smashing it in the process. Her outrage distracted her for a moment and she stooped to grab the device, a forceful shockwave of light throwing her to the ground as her demon slew the stalker.

     Officially blind, Haneul stayed immobile, her breath too loud as she calmed her heart down. Her guardian gave no indication of his victory, and she tentatively probed her phone to assess the damage; it wouldn't turn on, of course.

Footsteps approached her, Haneul flinching back as hot skin brushed her own. The demon hauled her to her feet by the arm, releasing her briskly and pushing her forward, his hand hovering on her back.

Her porch light was a sanctuary. Haneul gratefully dug her keys out and tried to open the door, the demon clearing his throat impatiently as he watched her hands fumble with leftover adrenaline.

"Let me," he hissed, shouldering her away and clicking the lock open.

Haneul frowned as he entered the apartment first, ignoring her while he judged her decor, or lack thereof.

     The apartment was simple; Haneul didn't like feeling cluttered and had only one couch and a loveseat set up in front of her television. A small coffee table rested in the middle of the plush rug she had gotten second hand, and the few plants she kept were huddled in front of the window, leaves determinedly drooping no matter how much she nursed them.