Chapter 24: The Yako Tribe

After his short stop in the Tanuki clan, Yako made his way through the different train stations in different cities. He did this, because the Tanuki clan didn't have many airports. This was because it was a very mountainous country with few valleys big enough to build a runway for commercial airlines. As such, some of the only aircraft seen around Tanuki airports were small propeller-driven aircraft or helicopters. The Tanuki clan was also not a rich country, and it was much more cost effective and easier to maintain the railways than it was for regional air travel.

     But while traveling, Yako noticed that Metropolitan Onesimus was with him on every train car. Yako then decided to ask him, "Are you headed to the same place I am?"

     Metropolitan Onesimus then answered, "I don't know. Where are you headed?"

     "I'm going back to my old home in the Kitsune clan."

     "Good. I'm headed to Saint Nicholas Enlightener of the Kitsune Clan monastery for an ordination."

     "Since when did the Kitsune clan have any Christians left after they all fled to Szolsura? Obviously Vixie is not being ordained."

     "I've known about it ever since Victor notified me, he is catechizing a crowd of catechumens. I already have two priests under my authority there. I am regularly in contact with them and desire to see their congregations myself as any bishop should see all the churches in his diocese at least once a year."

     And despite his high standing amongst Tanuki society, Metropolitan Onesimus simply traveled in his plain monastic robe and didn't think much of the high regard the Tanukis had for him. Even his deacon didn't think much of the attention and did whatever it was Onesimus asked him to do.

     The three then continued their travel together until they all stepped out at the border station. Outside the customs office stood armed guards as a barbed wire fence stretched as far as the eye could see. And while standing there, the magic suppression field could be felt by any creature capable of magic and rated for at least a 7-tailed Kitsune's magical ability. In line could be seen a whole bunch of different kinds of people, Szolsurans, Selenese, Elves, Inus, Nekos, and Americans, but there were hardly any Tanukis waiting in line besides Onesimus and his deacon.

     Eventually it became Yako's turn to get through, and the customs agent saw immediately that Yako had 9 tails and was therefore considered one of the clan's own. As such, the customs agent didn't look at Yako's Selenese passport too scrupulously and stamped it right away before saying, "Welcome home. Glory to Vixie."

     However, when Onesimus and his deacon approached the counter, the customs agent said, "Papers, trash pandas," with full knowledge that he was speaking this way to the metropolitan.

     Onesimus then handed his passport and diplomacy papers to the customs agent as he asked, "What's the reason for your visit?"

     Onesimus then answered, "Official business travel."

     "How long will you be staying?"

     "2 months."

     "Have you been vaccinated for rabies?"

     "Yes."

     "Put your thumb print on the scanner."

     Onesimus then put his thumb on the scanner. And as the customs agent was asking his questions, he was looking for any discrepancy between Onesimus and the documents presented so that he could deny him entry or detain him. However, the customs agent couldn't find any discrepancy or falsified documents, so he reluctantly put a stamp of approval on Onesimus's documents and let Onesimus and his deacon through before saying, "Slava Inari," just to agitate him.