Chapter 9: Gumiho Encounter

While ministering to his flock, Metropolitan Onesimus was finishing up the Divine Liturgy in Saint Moshi the Blacktail cathedral in Sycamore city, Tanuki clan. And afterwards, he sought to continue in good standing with his flock and performing administrative functions over his diocese. And unfortunately, one of those functions was excommunicating the Tom Ringtail of the prominent Ringtail family for running a crime syndicate and refusing to turn away from the criminal underworld. But before he could return to his home, he found a handwritten letter sealed with wax bearing the Kitsune clan imperial seal as if it were written by Inari herself. And when Metropolitan Onesimus saw the emblem on the seal, he thought, "I wonder if this is some sort of joke by the queen of the Kitsune clan or if this is actually important. I guess I don't know until I open it up."

     Onesimus then broke the seal and found it wasn't Inari who wrote the letter addressed to him but friar Victor Kitsune. And when he saw that it was Victor, he immediately stopped everything to read its contents knowing that this was the same Victor Kitsune who led to the conversion of Moshi the Blacktail and his own people in the 1300s. The contents of this letter read...

     To your eminence, Metropolitan bishop Onesimus of the Tanuki clan,

     I write this letter to you, because I need help within the Kitsune clan and must fulfill functions I do not have the authority to do. Here is the situation. I am flooded with catechumens and cannot possibly meet all their spiritual needs by myself, even with three great people with me being Todd Reddington, his wife Vixie, and their servant they treat as their own family named Dixie. And when these catechumens do finally reach the time of their Baptism and Chrismation, I do not have the authority to do these sacraments except Baptism in the most extreme circumstances. Therefore, I hope it is not too much to ask with how many responsibilities you have as the Metropolitan bishop of the Tanuki clan, but if you are able, can you please spare us a priest to do the sacraments for these catechumens and so that my spiritual children Todd and Vixie and their servant Dixie do not go without them?

     As for myself, I have already notified my bishop who is the archbishop of Szolsura, Clement, about my stay in the Kitsune clan indefinitely, and he has agreed to allow this. However, because archbishop Clement of Szolsura only has jurisdiction over the Szolsuran archdiocese, he does not have direct oversight over what is happening in the Kitsune clan. So, that it is why I am asking your eminence for help, because you are the closest to the Kitsune clan and therefore have the most immediate oversight without our own bishop.

     And if your eminence is able to spare us a priest, do not be worried about cultural misunderstandings, because Todd, Vixie, and I will have that under control. I understand that the Kitsune and Tanuki clans have been at odds for a long time, but this is more important than silly ethnic feuds because this is about salvation. And if it's not too much to ask, I'd like to have someone who is well-versed in heresies, because apart from who I know are genuine Christians, there are plenty of pseudo-Christian sects in the Kitsune clan who cite Holy Scripture as their authority while denouncing the authority of the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic church. And these are more dangerous to the spiritual and psychological wellbeing of my catechumens than the worshipers of okami Inari. To list all the heresies they believe in would be impossible to fit in one letter, but I am doing what I am able to do to guide my catechumens in the ways of truth and to reject empty philosophies and vain deceit from those who like Satan in the desert twist the scriptures for their personal gain.

     I hope to hear back from your eminence soon. And in the meantime, I'll be fulfilling my duties to catechize the Kitsune clan.

Friar Victor Kitsune

     After having read the letter, Metropolitan Onesimus prepared to have a meeting with the priests under his jurisdiction as to who will have the honor to minister beside the one who led to the salvation of Moshi the Blacktail and Tanuki clan.