Chapter 19: Truth About Mother's Accident

Start from the beginning

The small courtyard was considered complete with the addition of the fence. Gu Ling led everyone in sharpening tree branches into tools and energetically turned over the soil in the courtyard. They then watered it and planted some seeds that Ding Shaoyang had brought for them.

It was now early summer, making it more suitable for planting crops such as corn, sorghum, and sesame. Gu Ling looked through the bag of seeds that Ding Shaoyang had brought and was pleasantly surprised to find that there were even some vegetable seeds!

She didn't know what kind of vegetable seeds they were, but she simply scattered them all in the ground. After all, they could eat whatever grew.

After two days of hard work, they finally tidied up their living residence

After undergoing several repairs, the shed was transformed into a sturdy wooden house. The outside kitchen was also undergoing construction, and the yard was being renovated. Some seeds had already sprouted after just two days of being planted. Every morning, the educated youth would wake up and check the progress of the seeds.

Their daily routine consisted of building houses, watering the seeds in the fields, fishing, and picking wild fruits. 

The group became increasingly familiar with the nearby forest, and they ventured further and further away.

Gu Ling and the other educated youths discovered mangoes, coconuts, pineapples, and even lychees!. 

These fruits, which were sold for a high price on the mainland, could be enjoyed freely to their heart's content on the island, and they tasted exceptionally delicious. Fish and shrimp were also abundant in the sea, with new catches coming in almost every day.

They even caught a few rabbits and pheasants in traps that were set in the forest. 

Gu Ling took charge of raising two hens in a small chicken coop, with the hope of collecting their eggs. The hens were productive, laying two fresh and warm eggs the next day.

Gu Ling planned to save the eggs for occasional consumption or to see if they could hatch into chicks.

As for the rabbits, Peng Xiaoyue couldn't help but feel tempted. "Let's eat rabbit meat. Rabbit meat is the most delicious!" 

After eating fish, shrimp and fruits for a few days in a row, Peng Xiaoyue was craving for meat on land.

However, Gu Ling insisted on keeping the rabbits. "There isn't much meat on rabbits, so we can supplement our protein intake with fish and shrimp. We don't have to eat rabbits. Keeping them can also allow us to collect rabbit fur. When winter comes, we can make blankets or clothes," Gu Ling explained. 

Everyone, except Peng Xiaoyue, agreed with Gu Ling's decision.

Peng Xiaoyue looked at Gu Ling, and for some reason, she felt a surge of inexplicable anger. She strongly disliked Gu Ling, but she didn't hate her enough to wish harm upon her. However, there was an occasional malicious thought that emerged from the depths of her heart, hoping that Gu Ling would disappear from the world.

Soon, Gu Ling and Li Haixia went to transplant some wildflowers near their living area. 

With the addition of wildflowers, the wooden house instantly became more poetic and picturesque. Peng Xiaoyue turned her head away, annoyed.

Gu Ya was also feeling restless. Although her marriage to Yu Mingxin had been finalized, she had been feeling unwell for several days due to the criticism she had received recently. 

She had trouble falling asleep at night and would wake up shortly after managing to close her eyes, experiencing severe headaches.

Under such circumstances, she couldn't have any coherent dreams and couldn't comprehend Gu Ling's situation on the island. 

After taking the medicine twice, her condition seemed to improve slightly. However, Gu Ya still felt uncomfortable lying in bed, in a dazed state. 

The medicine seemed to have side effects, as Gu Ya experienced some discomfort in her stomach. She got up to go to the bathroom but was surprised to hear someone at the front door just as she reached the bedroom door.

It was already early morning, so who could be at the door? 

Her parents had been arguing fiercely before, but her mother, Sun Xiulan, had managed to reconcile with her father, Gu Changjian, in the past few days. Wasn't it agreed that Gu Changjian would take on temporary work, while Sun Xiulan continued working, and they would both strive to marry off their daughter, Gu Ya, and raise their son, Gu Xiaobin?

Gu Ya tiptoed to the back of the courtyard gate and heard her mother's deliberately hushed and somewhat anxious voice at the front door. "Sister Wang , I beg you, please don't discuss this matter. Didn't we agree not to tell anyone? It has been many years, and Yang Shan is long dead. Why bring it up again? Have you forgotten the benefits I gave you before?"

Gu Ya was shocked. Did her mother know some inside story about Gu Ling's biological mother's death that she didn't?