𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟏: 𝐈 𝐃𝐨 𝐍𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐘𝐨𝐮

𝐉𝐚𝐧𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝟗, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐘𝐨𝐫𝐤, 𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐘𝐨𝐫𝐤

𝐉𝐚𝐧𝐮𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝟗, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟎
𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐘𝐨𝐫𝐤, 𝐍𝐞𝐰 𝐘𝐨𝐫𝐤

"I don't like the beat." Desmond shook his head with a look of doubt on his face, for the second time tonight.

"What's wrong with this one?" Gino asked, sitting in one of the wheeling chairs while the man at the sound mixer rubbed his hand over his face, almost exhausted with the nitpicking.

"It just don't mesh well with the lyrics of the song. Simple." He answered straight up, not caring that the man was trying his hardest to come up with something good. Desmond felt it wasn't good enough.

He and Gino were finally in a real luxurious recording studio, working on a EP to release to the public. A couple of weeks ago they both received a sudden phone call from the label, telling them that they were on board with the duo releasing their own music in the mean while. If it didn't do well or sound perfect to the label, they were back to being in the background as the drummer and guitarist, and would stay there for a little while longer.

The offer came out of nowhere and the duo was surprised by the label giving them a chance like this, without any doubt or anything. Desmond remembered speaking with Sade about how he and his boy wanted to make music while the band was on break, and he figured she finally put in a good word to the executives and convinced them to be up for it. Even if that conversation took place six months ago. With the two being on bad terms at the moment, Desmond expected to be kicked out of the band and off the label, since she had that kind of power. Thankfully Sade wasn't interfering with their upcoming careers, no matter how mad Desmond would make her.

He was just proud to be working on something other than a demo tape for now.

"Any suggestions for a particular instrumental?" The man at the sound mixer asked, being a little sarcastic since Desmond was turning down everything he was presenting to them.

"Yeah, we need something that's a little more upbeat. This ain't no love song and the beat is too mellow. With all due respect but this shit sound like it's gone put somebody to sleep." Desmond told him with a straight face.

Gino stifled his laugh because he knew the man was trying his best, but his friend didn't have any filter sometimes "He right though, we need to speed this up or something if we wanna impress the public."

The man nodded, accepting the criticism from the duo and began to start up a new beat once again. Before he could hover his hand over the mixer, Desmond wheeled in beside him, wanting to take over for a few "Let me try something."

Flicking his fingers over multiple switches to find a upbeat rhythm, he at least came up with the first eight seconds of the instrumental he was going for. Gino made a face that let him know that's exactly what they needed "I'm feeling that already."

"I know! We in the new jack swing era man, we need beats like this instead." Desmond said and continued to press and slide buttons across the mixing board, nodding his head while at it.