𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒: 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐎𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐞

December 31, 1988

December 31, 1988

"What we doing tonight?" Desmond's younger brother asked him, flopping on his bed.

He furrowed his brows and chuckled "Lil dude, who is we? Your lil ass staying in the house with mama and daddy, and watching the countdown on the tv."

Devin smacked his lips at the comment "Why I can't go out with you and Gino? I'm seventeen, not seven, so I advise for y'all to stop treat me like one." He argued.

Desi sighed at his tantrum "Seventeen ain't twenty two lil bro, but if you really wanna come out with me and the guys tonight, you gotta ask your folks first." He told him before patting him to get off the bed. Devin only smacked his lips and left outta the room, probably going to beg his parents to let him out for the night.

Desmond was so happy he wasn't his brother's age anymore. Always having to sit in the house because his parents were paranoid for him to go out alone, wasn't any fun. Sure they allow the boys some freedom, but they still have strict rules, and just wanted their kids to be safe. They weren't in the best part of the neighborhood to begin with, so of course they were going to be worried.

Glaring over at the clock, it was only five in the afternoon, and the day seemed to be dragging. It was cloudy outside, while snow covered the streets and sidewalks. Nobody would wanna be out in that, but Desmond was used to this weather, so he was still going out tonight to enjoy his New Year's Eve.

Sitting down at the small desk near his window, he looked down at the notepad and sighed at the poem he started on at 2 in the morning. He always found himself writing at those hours, mainly because that's when most of his deep thoughts would hit him. Whatever he was feeling, he decided to just write down to express himself.

"What can I offer her?" He reread the title of the poem, in his head.

All of my life I dreamed of meeting one with immense beauty,
and once I found her I would charm her and she'd be mine forever.
I have found her and indeed she is all I wished for and more but she
is not charmed nor intrigued. Then I think 2 myself "What can I offer her?"
The tears warm my eyes and blur my vision. I stick 2 my stance of bravado
and give her the same uninterested look she gave me. She was so beautiful,
but what can I offer her?"

He went over the finished poem, not wanting to change anything he already wrote. It was quite obvious who the poem was about, but it really wasn't that deep to him. It's just how he felt at the moment, thinking about the months the two spent together, only for her to be disinterested in him. He told himself he wouldn't dwell on it, but there he was at two in the morning, writing about it. He would rather write than continuing to rant to Gino.

It helps though. After expressing how he felt on paper, it would soon leave his mind after that.

A couple of knocks pulled him from his thoughts "Come in."