nineteen

"Better get the cloak," Ron muttered, as Lee Jordan finally left, stretching and yawning. Harry ran upstairs to their dark dormitory. He putted out the cloak and then his eyes fell on the flute Hagrid had given him for Christmas. He pocketed it to use on Fluffy -- he didn't feel much like singing.

He ran back down to the common room.

"We'd better put the cloak on here, and make sure it covers all three of us -- if Filch spots one of our feet wandering along on its own --"

"What are you doing?" said a voice from the corner of the room. Neville appeared from behind an armchair, clutching Trevor the toad, who looked as though he'd been making another bid for freedom.

"Nothing, Neville, nothing," said Harry, hurriedly putting the cloak behind his back.

Neville stared at their guilty faces.

"You're going out again," he said.

"No, no, no," said Hermione. "No, we're not. Why don't you go to bed, Neville?"

Harry looked at the grandfather clock by the door. They couldn't affordto waste any more time, Snape might even now be playing Fluffy to sleep. He wondered if Lilith's done checking the traps, after all-- Fluffy seemed to like her.

The girl had been in the kitchens instead. She had skipped her classes, lunch and dinner to go check on the trap and spent a few hours playing with Fluffy. She got hungry so she went to the kitchens to get something to eat, She still had about two hours until the plan was set in motion.

Instead, when Lilith glanced at the clock in the kitchens, her eyes widened as she jumped, cupcake still on her hands.

"Thank you for the food, Buttons! I'll come visit later!" She rushed, sending a grateful smile towards the house elf who practically worshipped her, before running out of the kitchens while munching on her cupcake.

"Oh, Harry's gonna kill me!" She had gotten distracted by the food in the kitchens, she didn't realize she spent two hours there!

"You can't go out," said Neville, "you'll be caught again. Gryffindor will be in even more trouble."

"You don't understand," said Harry, "this is important."

But Neville was clearly steeling himself to do something desperate. "I won't let you do it," he said, hurrying to stand in front of the portrait hole. "I'll -- I'll fight you!"

"Neville, "Ron exploded, "get away from that hole and don't be an idiot--"

"Don't you call me an idiot!" said Neville. "I don't think you should bebreaking any more rules! And you were the one who told me to stand up to people!"

"Yes, but not to us," said Ron in exasperation. "Neville, you don't know what you're doing."

He took a step forward and Neville dropped Trevor the toad, who leapt out of sight.

"Go on then, try and hit me!" said Neville, raising his fists. "I'm ready!"Harry turned to Hermione.