CHAPTER 24

Lisa

I'm absolutely exhausted by Thursday. The Seok woo's lawyers sent a bunch of notes and questions, and our lawyers responded. But they also need me to review some of the main points to make sure I'm okay with the proposed changes.

I'm learning more about Korean luxury retail and wedding customs than I ever imagined. It's fascinating, but tiring because everyone's squabbling about every minute detail. What's worse is that the Korean counterpart is very slow to respond. The contract was sent over eight weeks ago, and it didn't come back to us until yesterday. It's almost like this project isn't really a priority for them.

Which is absurd. When I visited the Seok woo group's headquarters in Gangnam, Vice-Chairman Eugene Kim indicated he was very interested in the exclusive luxury custom designs Bvlgari Cartier can do for their ultra-ritzy department stores. They want something new to offer their clientele, and some of their top spenders are looking for unique high-ticket items as status symbols. He explained their top customers are in a special loyalty program, and they need to spend at least a million dollars a year at the Seok woo Group-owned department stores to qualify and maintain their status.

And yet...things are dragging...and sapping my energy.

Since I'm tired of coming home around midnight, I leave the office early enough that I can be home before ten. Not that I can go to bed anytime soon. There are still at least five more reports and documents to review.

The kitchen is empty—I told Matthias I was grabbing dinner at work—and Taehyung's probably doing whatever he likes to do in the evening. I have no clue what he does after work because I haven't been around enough. A sliver of guilt lodges in my gut. I told him I wanted us to make the best of the situation, and I've been a neglectful wife.

But there's nothing to be done until things ease up a bit. If I'd known Taehyung would end up being my husband rather than Jungkook, I might've specified in the contract to request more involvement from Cartier for the collaboration. But given Jungkook's lack of experience and ability, I made myself the person in charge for handling the Seok woo Group. Nothing can go wrong with this project because I have to prove myself to the board.

Once the distribution deal with the Seok woo Group is finalized, I'll have some breathing room. Maybe Taehyung and I can find some hobbies to try together. Not just tennis, but maybe going out and doing things that he'd like, although...

Probably not. That Stalker's back. So are his privacy-violating buddies. So far they haven't been able to generate any embarrassing headlines, but that's only because all I've done since they reappeared in my life is go back and forth to work.

Hopefully, they won't bother Taehyung. I don't understand why they're so obsessed with me. I'm a minor celebrity of sorts due to my inheritance, but there are far more interesting and famous people in Los Angeles.

I go to my bedroom and kick off my shoes. My stilettos are generally comfortable, but nothing beats bare feet. I get out of my clothes, and let out a sigh as soon as my bra's gone. So much better.

Next to come off is the jewelry, except for the Toi et Moi ring and wedding band. The island in the center of the walk-in closet has six huge compartments for my jewelry and accessories.

Taehyung's watch sits among mine, so he must've gotten home and changed already. Although he could just keep all his things in his bedroom down the hall, he's started to leave some of his stuff in my closet, like a guy who's spending more and more time at his girlfriend's place. It's sort of cute.

I stick my hand into the home wear section of the closet and pull out the first thing I grab. A lacy silk nightie in amethyst purple. Jisoo gave it to me when she learned I was engaged to Jungkook. Well, that cheater's out of my life, but the gift is still nice. It's pretty and has never been worn, so I'm going to pretend it has nothing to do with my asshole ex-fiancé and enjoy it.