CHAPTER 6

Taehyung

It's almost funny how quickly my family folds.

But fold they do, and now I control their finances. One wrong step, I'm cutting them off. I've been too soft with them, obviously, for them to think they could "sell" me like some painting or something.

On my way back to my office, I hand the signed and notarized documents to Yeonjun. "Send these to John Highsmith."

He nods and makes a note.

Once back in the office, I roll my shoulders. I'd prefer not to have to marry Lalisa Manoban and take over everyone's finances. But we all have to do things we don't like. At least I didn't have to look at Jungkook's face. Lucky for him, since I wouldn't have been able to hold myself back. A kick in the balls is the least he deserves.

Wait a minute...

Speaking of people I hate to see—I pull out my phone and start texting.

–Me: I'm getting married. Wanna attend the wedding?

I don't have to wait for long.

–DAD: Is this a prank?

I let out a short laugh. Dad doesn't read or answer his texts. That's a job for his assistant, Joey the Toady. And Joey is wary. He thinks I'm fucking with him and doesn't want to get into trouble with Dad.

It's not surprising. Three of my brothers are married, and Dad did his best to crash all three weddings. He failed, of course, the last time having to flee in a helicopter that Suga assaulted with fireworks, mainly because my brothers wanted ceremonies that were romantic and dignified. You bring Dad into something, it's going to be all about him. The great Kim Dong wook, Hollywood legend, producer of blockbusters, God's gift to the world, the man who never produced a flop in his long and storied career. No one knows how many celebrities owe him their stardom, and countless wannabe actors and models fawn over him, praying he'll turn them into stars. He now honestly believes that he shits rainbows and pisses eau de toilette.

Exactly the kind of guest I want at this farce of a wedding.

–Me: Nope. 100% legit.

–DAD: I didn't know you were engaged.

Is Joey demanding to be convinced?

–Me: Well, I am. You wanna come or not?

–DAD: Of course! When and where?

–Me: I'll let you know.

–DAD: You want cash or presents?

–Me: Your presence will be present enough.

For me.

Hopefully, Dad will bring his A-game and set a new record for packing embarrassment into the moment. When he first met Suga's wife Aspen, he told her he'd cast her in a movie with lots of sex scenes with the actors of her choice. I'm counting on Dad to outdo himself with Lalisa.

That done, I pull up the new marketing plan on my laptop and shift gears. I scroll down the document, reading quickly. So far, so good, although...

I make a short comment within the document for Otto from marketing to address later in the day.

The intercom on my desk beeps.

"Taehyung, your fiancée is here." Yeonjun's voice is less certain than usual.

"My what?"

"Fiancée...?" A slight pause, then an uncomfortable throat clearing. "Lalisa Manoban."