CHAPTER 5

Taehyung

Two weeks pass, and Lalisa Manoban doesn't try to get in touch with me to discuss the indentured servitude contract. I drum my fingers on the desk in my office, trying to figure the angles. Is she waiting for our lawyer to tell her she's getting the shares rather than a husband?

However, I had a chance to get a copy of the contract and read it over. My lawyer—the one I ultimately ended up hiring—sent me succinct summary of the deal as well.

Upon marriage, Lalisa Manoban's husband will receive ten percent of Cartier shares from her, plus five percent voting share of Bvlgari, in addition to a seat on Bvlgari's BOD. This is contingent on the husband signing the legal document prepared by Lalisa's legal team in Nesovia, giving her the full control over her finances. Refer to Exhibit A.

I already read the exhibit. It's beyond ridiculous. Like I want or care about her money.

The husband can file for a divorce after five years of marriage. Lucienne can divorce him at any time.

Completely unfair, but my family's idiot lawyer never questioned it. And it's too late to undo it.

There will be no commingling of assets after marriage. Any assets acquired post-marriage are to be divided fifty/fifty upon divorce. Joint custody should there be any children.

There's no way I'm bringing a child into this unholy mix.

If the Kims breach the deal, they'll hand over thirty percent of voting shares of Cartier to Lalisa Manoban. If Lalisa Manoban breaches the deal, she'll hand over thirty percent of the voting shares of Bvlgari to the Kims.

Just what was my family smoking? And why the hell didn't their lawyer stop them?

The Cartier Bvlgari collaboration in Korea requires capital investment, split fifty/fifty between Cartier and Bvlgari, but the profit is split fifty-five/forty-five in Cartier's favor. Lalisa Manoban will be spearheading it.

The family not putting Jungkook in charge of the collaboration is the only sensible thing they've done in this deal. I make a mental note to look into this collaboration arrangement more closely. Knowing what I know about Lalisa, she'll be dropping balls left and right—assuming there are any left to drop—and I'll have to clean up the mess.

More texts from my brothers arrive.

–JIN: Why don't you try John Highsmith from Highsmith, Dickson and Associates? He's good.

–Me: Already did.

–SUGA: How about Ken Hayashi? He works for Eunwoo and Mingyu, and you know they don't                        hire idiots.

–Me: Tried him too. There's no way out of this contract without handing over thirty percent of                   Cartier.

I'm bitter as I send the text to my brothers. I've consulted one high-priced lawyer after another. And I have nothing to show for it.

–JIN: I'm sorry.

He feels bad because his mom represented Lalisa in this deal, which explains the lack of loopholes. But it isn't his fault his mom's so good at her job. It's my family's fault for agreeing to this infernal deal in the first place.

–SEOJOON: You gonna hand over the shares?

–NAMJOON: You don't need Cartier or the money from it. Fuck them.

–WOOSHIK: I still can't believe your family screwed you over. What the hell happened to family                               loyalty? You certainly deserve it after what you've done for them.